Sad news!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Tech Related (PC, Internet, HDTV, etc.)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 5 2011, 9:30 pm EDT    Post subject: Sad news! Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 6 2011, 11:12 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

He left a legacy...rest in peace.

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 7 2011, 8:45 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

With Time Running Short, Jobs Managed His Farewells

At Mr. Jobs's home in Palo Alto, Calif., supporters left bitten apples, candles and flowers. Tributes were also left online and at Apple stores around the world.

By CHARLES DUHIGG
Published: October 6, 2011

Over the last few months, a steady stream of visitors to Palo Alto, Calif., called an old friend’s home number and asked if he was well enough to entertain visitors, perhaps for the last time.

In February, Steven P. Jobs had learned that, after years of fighting cancer, his time was becoming shorter. He quietly told a few acquaintances, and they, in turn, whispered to others. And so a pilgrimage began.

The calls trickled in at first. Just a few, then dozens, and in recent weeks, a nearly endless stream of people who wanted a few moments to say goodbye, according to people close to Mr. Jobs. Most were intercepted by his wife, Laurene. She would apologetically explain that he was too tired to receive many visitors. In his final weeks, he became so weak that it was hard for him to walk up the stairs of his own home anymore, she confided to one caller.

Some asked if they might try again tomorrow.

Sorry, she replied. He had only so much energy for farewells. The man who valued his privacy almost as much as his ability to leave his mark on the world had decided whom he most needed to see before he left.

Mr. Jobs spent his final weeks — as he had spent most of his life — in tight control of his choices. He invited a close friend, the physician Dean Ornish, a preventive health advocate, to join him for sushi at one of his favorite restaurants, Jin Sho in Palo Alto. He said goodbye to longtime colleagues including the venture capitalist John Doerr, the Apple board member Bill Campbell and the Disney chief executive Robert A. Iger. He offered Apple’s executives advice on unveiling the iPhone 4S, which occurred on Tuesday. He spoke to his biographer, Walter Isaacson. He started a new drug regime, and told some friends that there was reason for hope.

But, mostly, he spent time with his wife and children — who will now oversee a fortune of at least $6.5 billion, and, in addition to their grief, take on responsibility for tending to the legacy of someone who was as much a symbol as a man.

“Steve made choices,” Dr. Ornish said. “I once asked him if he was glad that he had kids, and he said, ‘It’s 10,000 times better than anything I’ve ever done.’ ”

“But for Steve, it was all about living life on his own terms and not wasting a moment with things he didn’t think were important. He was aware that his time on earth was limited. He wanted control of what he did with the choices that were left.”

In his final months, Mr. Jobs’s home — a large and comfortable but relatively modest brick house in a residential neighborhood — was surrounded by security guards. His driveway’s gate was flanked by two black S.U.V.’s.

On Thursday, as online eulogies multiplied and the walls of Apple stores in Taiwan, New York, Shanghai and Frankfurt were papered with hand-drawn cards, the S.U.V.’s were removed and the sidewalk at his home became a garland of bouquets, candles and a pile of apples, each with one bite carefully removed.

“Everyone always wanted a piece of Steve,” said one acquaintance who, in Mr. Jobs’s final weeks, was rebuffed when he sought an opportunity to say goodbye. “He created all these layers to protect himself from the fan boys and other peoples’ expectations and the distractions that have destroyed so many other companies.

“But once you’re gone, you belong to the world.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/07/technology/with-time-running-short-steve-jobs-managed-his-farewells.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all?src=tp

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 7 2011, 1:23 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

Programming on an Apple II while I was in college paved the way for me to get a Ph.D. in Computer Science and found a career in computing and networking areas. What makes the Internet so popular today owes a lot to the following events:

1. 1969: The first version of Internet (called ARPANET) with 4 nodes
2. 1971: The birth of the UNIX operating system (Bell Labs in Murray Hill, NJ)
3. 1973: The invention of Ethernet (Xerox PARC)
4. 1977: The dawn of personal computing: Apple II PCs
5. 1981: The standardization of the Internet protocols: TCP/IP
6. 1989: The invention of hypertext system (HTML, HTTP) by Tim Berners-Lee
7. 1993: The introduction of the Mosaic web browser (the predecessor of the Netscape browser)

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 7 2011, 6:11 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

Why would you leave a bitten apple in front of his house?
People do the weirdest things sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 7 2011, 7:43 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Why would you leave a bitten apple in front of his house?
People do the weirdest things sometimes.

Apple's logo

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 7 2011, 10:13 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

It still seems strange!
Did people leave light bulbs in front of Edison's house when he kicked the bucket?
How about Einstein?
Did children leave their math homework?

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 7 2011, 10:20 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
It still seems strange!
Did people leave light bulbs in front of Edison's house when he kicked the bucket?
How about Einstein?

We know you don't know anything about Apple and Steve Jobs, let alone a fan. So, let the fans be.

I totally understand why they did that.

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 7 2011, 10:51 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
It still seems strange!
How about Einstein?

possibly. Why don't you research this issue.

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 8 2011, 2:03 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

Apple was a huge influence also in my own career, both Steve Woz and Jobs were a major part of how I "think differently" even today. I've been lucky enough to work in Silicon Valley but live in NJ for most of my career. Looking back is eerie how much Apple influenced major milestone and some of mine overlapped with yours.

Guest wrote:

1. 1977: The dawn of personal computing: Apple II PCs (My second PC at home but taught me programming and Visicalc)
2. 1981: The standardization of the Internet protocols: TCP/IP
3. 1984: Apple MAC introduced and ushered in Windows OS (I bought first model M00001 and learned OOP and desktop publishing)
4. 1987 Apple Hypercard released and influenced creation of Mosaic browser (My first commercial work was written in this during college)
5. 1988 Apple Newton released a PDA prototype that Palm Pilot made a commercial success a few years later (Jobs killed Newton project too early at Apple - I owned both)
6. 1989: The invention of hypertext system (HTML, HTTP) by Tim Berners-Lee written on Steve Jobs NEXT computer
7. 1993: The introduction of the Mosaic web browser (the predecessor of the Netscape browser where I once worked)
8. 2007: iPhone reinvents the smart phone (Still use my Gen1 iPhone today but already preordered my 4S)
9. 2011: Jobs passed away already preordered his official biography

I personally wouldnt compare Jobs to Edison since Steve wasnt a handson guy in the lab, he was a Sales/Marketing/Product Manager. But as a visionary leader he does have some attributes that can be compared to other great businessmen and leaders.

Yup, I am a long time Apple Fanboy, and will be fireing up my original Apple ][+ it still is working after all these years in memory of his passing this weekend.

Frankly I wish more young kids would find heroes like a Steve Jobs or Woz, Einstein, Edison, etc. Its better to celebrate someone like Steve that has changed the world rather then idolizing someone who uses a wooden stick and can hit .297 I agree people do the weirdest things sometimes they even collect autographed baseballs, how odd is that compared to a bitten apple as a momento.

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 8 2011, 7:08 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

Jobs created a line of entertainment devices. No matter how cool they are, to compare the iPod and iPad to Edison's contributions is stretching things a bit. You can give him ensemble cast credit in personal computing, but IBM and Bill Gates and Michael Dell influenced this to a far greater extent, in my opinion.
That being said, I am typing this on a Mac plugged into an iPad and an iPod. I wish the Jobs family condolences as they mourn his passing.

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 8 2011, 7:46 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Jobs created a line of entertainment devices. No matter how cool they are, to compare the iPod and iPad to Edison's contributions is stretching things a bit. You can give him ensemble cast credit in personal computing, but IBM and Bill Gates and Michael Dell influenced this to a far greater extent, in my opinion.
That being said, I am typing this on a Mac plugged into an iPad and an iPod. I wish the Jobs family condolences as they mourn his passing.

Bill Gates as a hero, yes Dell no way, the only thing he revolutionized was JIT manufacturing for the PC, concept existing in other industries. Dell is fading just as fast as the PC era wanes, and will be long forgotten. Anyway Dell is just the hardware arm of MS anyway.

But I think you underestimate Jobs impact, your history is tooo short. When Apple was a introed it was at a time when most computers were only in large corporations and universities, and timesharing was at it height. Apple invented the P in Personal Computers as the most successful home computer. And did it again with LISA/MAC to change DOS computing into how we use Windowed GUI in ALL operating systems. It was the entire team at Apple that did these things but Jobs create an environment to allow these engineers to thrive and foster the unique designs as well as shape the direction. Sometimes in a bad direction, but mostly good. Otherwise the world may still be DOS based, with Greenscreens given the Pace at witch both DELL and MS innovate (or should I say copy) And yes even Apple copied but they innovated on the borrowed designs, not so with MS. Have you ever used DOS based windows, it sucked and MS Windows today sucks even more.

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 8 2011, 8:03 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

Of the Apple founders I would call Wozniac the Edison in that firm, he is a true engineer in the lab and created many firsts for PCs. As for what Jobs did there are too many to list, but for me the very first spreadsheet was created on an apple, and I still use them at work to this day.

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 8 2011, 8:21 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Of the Apple founders I would call Wozniac the Edison in that firm, he is a true engineer in the lab and created many firsts for PCs. As for what Jobs did there are too many to list, but for me the very first spreadsheet was created on an apple, and I still use them at work to this day.

I agree the Woz was the technical genius -- he was a wiz at reducing chipsets to make the PC affordable, and Jobs was the marketing and product genius. But frankly Edison was more a business genius than an engineering genius. Most of the inventions attributed to him were developed by others in his employ.

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 8 2011, 10:42 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

[quote="Guest"]
Guest wrote:
I agree the Woz was the technical genius -- he was a wiz at reducing chipsets to make the PC affordable, and Jobs was the marketing and product genius. But frankly Edison was more a business genius than an engineering genius. Most of the inventions attributed to him were developed by others in his employ.

When asked about the Edison reference to Jobs in an interview , Woz last night he acknowledged that it was probably not a good comparison since Job wasnt an engineer and didnt spend time tinkering like Edison. But he did shed light on how Job saw capabilities and products well into the future and worked with Woz in the early days to bring those ideas to life. Did same thing throughout his life at Apple working with other brilliant people that he hired and collaborated with to shape the direction of how computing and even person devices should be. In this respect he is a great leader and businessman and that part Edison also had in addition to the engineering inventions. Edison could probably sit down with one of his engineers or work alone and improve on their design, Job could not. Job gave verbal feedback on what he liked and didnt want in a product, still very important in the design process. It keeps the engineers focused on a goal even when that vision is only in one man's head, and contrary to where the entire industry is headed.

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 11 2011, 10:09 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

Maybe it's a geek/nerd thing, but, I still don't get leaving bitten apples outside of Job's house.
I guess the computer crowd has it's own strange tribal rituals and customs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Tech Related (PC, Internet, HDTV, etc.) All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2