Roof Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 1 2011, 12:23 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Roof Repair Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
You just don't get it.

I'm new to this topic but what don't they "get exactly? Why should they pay more for a local contractor to sub to a roofer if they can go direct?

By the way, not all the local contractors are responsive. I tried using one a couple times and both times they I could never even get them to follow-up with the quote for the work. I would call back to ask and keep hearing they were "working on it." Finally stopped asking and never heard back. They a year later I was dumb enough to try again on another job and never even got a return phone call. I'm sure others may be better, but if you want to promote using local could you point us to where you can find a list of local contractors? Not everyone works in the trades and knows these people.

In this economy it doesn't make sense for a contractor to not follow up with a customer, there must have been some other reason like maybe he perceived you as being a problem to deal with or you were not being realistic about the cost, which is typical. So try someone else. The Business Association published a directory of local businesses awhile ago.

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 1 2011, 1:22 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Roof Repair Reply with quote

Most contractors are from HELL!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 1 2011, 7:47 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Roof Repair Reply with quote

I guess you must work for the church. NICE !!!

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 1 2011, 8:15 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Roof Repair Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
You just don't get it.

I'm new to this topic but what don't they "get exactly? Why should they pay more for a local contractor to sub to a roofer if they can go direct?

By the way, not all the local contractors are responsive. I tried using one a couple times and both times they I could never even get them to follow-up with the quote for the work. I would call back to ask and keep hearing they were "working on it." Finally stopped asking and never heard back. They a year later I was dumb enough to try again on another job and never even got a return phone call. I'm sure others may be better, but if you want to promote using local could you point us to where you can find a list of local contractors? Not everyone works in the trades and knows these people.

In this economy it doesn't make sense for a contractor to not follow up with a customer, there must have been some other reason like maybe he perceived you as being a problem to deal with or you were not being realistic about the cost, which is typical. So try someone else. The Business Association published a directory of local businesses awhile ago.

Nice. Without knowing any of the facts, it couldn't have been the contractors fault. Because there's no such thing as a flaky contractor.

I don't know the circumstances any more than you do but I can assure you there are still plenty of flaky contractors out there.

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 1 2011, 9:45 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Roof Repair Reply with quote

A lot of contractors don't return calls as even in this economy there are still projects that are too small or that they don't want. I use a plumber and electrician in Cranbury and their service and cost is competitive.

However, when I've needed small construction work done I've had to go outside. We don't have any real handymen in town. The contractors are busy with bigger remodels and large projects. The electricians and plumbers are still great and responsive. Plus some of our local contractors sub out work to out of town outfits. So the only way to really use only local is for the homeowner to be their own contractor.

Plus, I have to say most homeowners have to factor in cost. It's great to use local, but if their rates are a lot higher then I know a lot of people won't or can't pay it. Nor should it be expected that they pay more.

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 1 2011, 10:18 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Roof Repair Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
You just don't get it.

Nice. Without knowing any of the facts, it couldn't have been the contractors fault. Because there's no such thing as a flaky contractor.

I don't know the circumstances any more than you do but I can assure you there are still plenty of flaky contractors out there.

Why would you want to pursue a flaky contractor twice in the first place? Flaky contractor = low bid, that's usually the reason and then you get what you pay for. There are reputable local contractors around who have been in business a long time because they are good at what they do. They wouldn't still be in business if they didn't call people back or if they did lousy work. Also the comment about contractors being from hell, well that's not very nice, and again, that person must have gotten the cheapest work they could find.

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 14 2012, 4:51 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Roof Repair Reply with quote

I've had the same problem locally. They come, do a look around, tell you what they can do about the problem. Then say they will be in contact the next week .. and you never hear from them again. I've called 3 times, got the machine, left and message and still haven't heard back in over a month.

I just don't understand the lack of professionalism. If you don't want to do the job.. call back and lie... but don't just not call back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Home Sweet Home All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2