Waste Management $15.88/month for 2 years?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon-011q

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 4 2013, 7:46 pm EST    Post subject: Waste Management $15.88/month for 2 years? Reply with quote

I received a letter from Waste Management offering trash pickup service for $15.88/moth (2 year term), plus two free months.

It's a much better deal than what I have now (1 pickup per week for about $85 per 3-month).
anon-8670

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 4 2013, 9:16 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Waste Management $15.88/month for 2 years? Reply with quote

How many times a week is pick up?
anon-011q

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 4 2013, 11:21 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Waste Management $15.88/month for 2 years? Reply with quote

anon-8670 wrote:
How many times a week is pick up?

I checked their web site with the promo code: GOODDEAL:

https://www.wmcurbside.com/specialoffers

Once per week (96 Gallon Trash Service): $14/month
Twice per week (96 Gallon Trash Service): $21/month
anon-97on

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 5 2013, 7:45 am EST    Post subject: Re: Waste Management $15.88/month for 2 years? Reply with quote

Here's where the deal smells to me. There's a little * that says the rate is not guaranteed for 24 months, even though you only get the deal if you sign a 2-year contract. I've never heard of such a thing, making a one-sided contractual commitment where they have the unilateral right to change the terms to some undefined fee part-way through. So as written you get 2 months free then an initial rate that could last as little as a month, then they could increase the rate 400%. I'm sure verbally they may promise not to do that but that's not contractually binding. I would not sign any deal where the rate or at least timing and percentage cap of increase was spelled out in writing.
anon-011q

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 5 2013, 8:55 am EST    Post subject: Re: Waste Management $15.88/month for 2 years? Reply with quote

anon-97on wrote:
Here's where the deal smells to me. There's a little * that says the rate is not guaranteed for 24 months, even though you only get the deal if you sign a 2-year contract. I've never heard of such a thing, making a one-sided contractual commitment where they have the unilateral right to change the terms to some undefined fee part-way through. So as written you get 2 months free then an initial rate that could last as little as a month, then they could increase the rate 400%. I'm sure verbally they may promise not to do that but that's not contractually binding. I would not sign any deal where the rate or at least timing and percentage cap of increase was spelled out in writing.

While your scenario is possible, Waste Management (a S&P 500 company and bigger than Midco's parent Republic Services) as a company won't be in business long if they acquire their new customers using this bait-and-switch trick.
anon-091r

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 5 2013, 9:25 am EST    Post subject: Re: Waste Management $15.88/month for 2 years? Reply with quote

I use Central Jersey Waste in town for $75/quarter for a huge can pickup 1/week. We never fill the can (even with our family of four) because we recycle more than we throw away.

Anyway, this WM deal seems even better and the competition serves as an example of the value of having various options in town for collection. I also understand the value (less trucks in town) of having one vendor contracted with the town, but the previous post's worry about price escalation is exactly why that effort and the subsequent contract needs to be negotiated smartly and thoroughly. In the meantime, we residents can reap these benefits of competition to nullify the risk of such escalation.
anon-0n08

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 5 2013, 10:28 am EST    Post subject: Re: Waste Management $15.88/month for 2 years? Reply with quote

anon-011q wrote:
anon-97on wrote:

While your scenario is possible, Waste Management (a S&P 500 company and bigger than Midco's parent Republic Services) as a company won't be in business long if they acquire their new customers using this bait-and-switch trick.

Then why set it up that way in the first place? A vast majority of companies that require guaranteed contracts fix the rates during that contractual period, or at the very least specify caps on the increases. They don't even guarantee the length of time the rate will hold. Nor do they guarantee that you will get the prevailing rate, which means they are free to charge customers on this deal more than they are charging people not under contract. You lose all negotiating leverage because you're under contract. It's crazy. What they actually do, who knows. But on the face of it, they are asking you to basically blindly trust them.
anon-011q

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 5 2013, 11:29 am EST    Post subject: Re: Waste Management $15.88/month for 2 years? Reply with quote

I just called Midco ((732) 545-8988). They matched the 15.88/month offer (the lady answered the phone knew about this deal).
anon-6n52

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 7 2013, 9:07 am EST    Post subject: Re: Waste Management $15.88/month for 2 years? Reply with quote

They are not giving you two free months without getting something back in return. The letter states " 2 months FREE service with a monthly rate as low as $15.88 for 2 years * "
The * part explains that it's new customers only (which is fine) but it also states that "rate not guaranteed for 24 months and fees may apply).
So my guess is once you sign you cannot get out of the contract without some kind of penalty, such as cell phone contracts. It doesn't state how much the increases will be, only that you are bound for 2 years with whatever increase they decide it to be.
Sounds good on the outside but I'd be wary.
anon-011q

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 7 2013, 9:45 am EST    Post subject: Re: Waste Management $15.88/month for 2 years? Reply with quote

anon-011q wrote:
I just called Midco ((732) 545-8988). They matched the 15.88/month offer (the lady answered the phone knew about this deal).

Just a note: The Midco lady called me back and asked me to pay 1-year fees in advance (at 15.88/month). I did not mind, so I paid using a credit card.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Home Sweet Home All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1