Daylight savings time and smoke detectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 8 2013, 12:59 pm EST    Post subject: Daylight savings time and smoke detectors Reply with quote

If you didn't change your batteries in your smoke and CO detectors in the fall, now would be a great time to do it. When you change your clocks, change your batteries! If you did change them in the fall, take a moment to test them as you go around and reset your clocks. Practice your escape plans and have a meeting place!

Thanks,
Michael
anon-opp6

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 2 2013, 6:10 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Daylight savings time and smoke detectors Reply with quote

Mike,
Thanks for posting.

Anyone,
Question on a smokie.

I was glad to see this post to remind me again. And as I look around the house a couple were unplugged since then for chirping - so that's really bad.

I neglected to do this in the spring. The house was hard wired for smoke detector so they said when we moved in. I thought the day of needing to change batteries in those disposable smoke detectors was over. But of course I was wrong.

So big question, does anyone know, can you put a rechargeable 9 V lithium for example in the hard wire detectors for the battery backup. I assume it would work, but will they charge?

And if anyone else hasn't reconnected them, changed battery backup, here is your reminder. Or am I the only one with the overflowing honey do list?

Thanks again
anon-8670

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 2 2013, 6:17 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Daylight savings time and smoke detectors Reply with quote

I saw on ask this old house that hard wired detectors have a shelf life. I believe a manufacturer tag inside says the mfg date. I believe this old house said it is 10 years.
anon-40n0

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 2 2013, 6:46 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Daylight savings time and smoke detectors Reply with quote

Don't gamble with your familiy's life. Get one designed with rechargeable backup. Kiddie i12080 for about 50 bucks.

Home Depot has them or you can order them.

And if you have a larger home with many of them, you may want to do a few early one year and next year the others to spread the cost.

Not to mention I wouldn't get time to put them all in on one weekend anyway, so splitting the chore up makes sense.

Good tip on previous poster, but I worked for an electrical contractor and they were only good for 7 years now. In fact the newer generation ones start chirping with or without fresh batteries if the unit is reaching end of life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Home Sweet Home All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1