Ice cream chaos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon-54r5

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 27 2017, 8:47 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Ice cream chaos Reply with quote

anon-q2r7 wrote:
anon-p96p wrote:
Very few of the Main Street businesses have parking other than street parking. So why should G and B be expected to?

Its Main Street, and it's well within the business area of Main Street. There are other businesses further North even. So those people that are classifying it as a residential area are misguided. It's a busines and residential area like Main Street's should be. If you don't want to be near bank, ice cream parlor, post office, diner, pizzeria, Asian food place, funeral home, dog parlor, real estate offices, etc, etc, etc, then don't buy a house on Main Street in any town.
If you knew what you were talking about you might have a point, but you don't so I'll have to explain to you newbies. All of these businesses are relatively new. Many of the people who live in this area have been here long before the business. As far as all the other businesses "even farther north" they are all low volume, and even more important are indoors.

I admit there are a number of new businesses in homes:

- Molto Bene, Little Owl, Dr. Alexander, Gil and Berts.

At the same time,

1st Constitution is no longer a market
The pharmacy is a low volume antique shop
Wrights Travel and then Pats Decor is now a home
The Bookworm is now a comic shop with little action
The Deli is now a small volume Chinese Food Restuarant
The Hardware store which was high volume is now a new Claires (hopefully a wash, maybe less volume than the hardware store)
Harolds is now a small tutoring store and Harolds used to sell gas and was busy
Sotheby's used to be various businesses that drew people in over the years
Sweetwater was a multiple banks which drew more people
Brennan Law firm now was a home years ago

Shops and businesses even went up S Main St.

Sorry, but if you chose to live in the center or border then you knew what you were getting even if you moved in 50 years ago. In fact the area was even busier than now. So you can play the old timer card, but this old timer remembers a busy business district at all times, just a different type of busy.
anon-5p0n

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 30 2017, 9:28 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Ice cream chaos Reply with quote

anon-q2r7 wrote:
anon-p96p wrote:
Very few of the Main Street businesses have parking other than street parking. So why should G and B be expected to?

Its Main Street, and it's well within the business area of Main Street. There are other businesses further North even. So those people that are classifying it as a residential area are misguided. It's a busines and residential area like Main Street's should be. If you don't want to be near bank, ice cream parlor, post office, diner, pizzeria, Asian food place, funeral home, dog parlor, real estate offices, etc, etc, etc, then don't buy a house on Main Street in any town.
If you knew what you were talking about you might have a point, but you don't so I'll have to explain to you newbies. All of these businesses are relatively new. Many of the people who live in this area have been here long before the business. As far as all the other businesses "even farther north" they are all low volume, and even more important are indoors.

LOL at the absurdity of this statement. That area of Man Street has been a mixed use commercial and residential area for centuries.
Guest127-n6o0

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 31 2017, 11:31 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Ice cream chaos Reply with quote

I agree with the prior poster. 60 plus years (I won't go beyond 60!) ago we had 3 grocery stores, a bustling pharmacy, 2 barbers, a bank, Maplewood Garage (Harold even sold gas) and numerous other stores. The village area was always busy and was mostly "commercial" with some residential. The mix always coexisted peacefully, and actually is quite nice for a village.
anon-8q1n

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 31 2017, 4:23 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Ice cream chaos Reply with quote

Guest127-n6o0 wrote:
I agree with the prior poster. 60 plus years (I won't go beyond 60!) ago we had 3 grocery stores, a bustling pharmacy, 2 barbers, a bank, Maplewood Garage (Harold even sold gas) and numerous other stores. The village area was always busy and was mostly "commercial" with some residential. The mix always coexisted peacefully, and actually is quite nice for a village.

It seems to me that the current-day issue is with the lack of parking. I would bet that 60+ years ago there weren't nearly as many cars to necessitate more ample parking or safer crosswalks. I also think that people, in general, were a bit more respectful toward the residential aspect of Main Street "back in the day". The degradation of manners and common courtesy is evident now more than ever.
anon-q2r7

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 3 2017, 11:25 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Ice cream chaos Reply with quote

Guest127-n6o0 wrote:
obviously you don't remember what time these business closed!
anon-46rr

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 4 2017, 2:11 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Ice cream chaos Reply with quote

Well, the ice cream hours were reduced this year and they are only open April to October.
anon-1n20

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 4 2017, 6:30 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Ice cream chaos Reply with quote

Guest127-n6o0 wrote:
OK, first I take exception to the poster who made a derogatory comment about our police officers spending time at the local "diner." They have a right to their dinner hour, and I prefer them to take it in town rather than out of town. If an emergency arises, they are here. I guess this poster is not from Cranbury or is new to town.

Now, I do agree with the other posters that there is no reason for illegal parking. There is plenty of parking on Westminster Place, Bunker Hill, and Park Place East. The problem is that people just don't want to walk 75 yards. Get some exercise folks! It's only a short walk.

Lastly, Gill & Berts is a fantastic success story that offers a commodity that disappeared after Harold's closed. The kids greatly enjoy G & B's as do their parents. It's also a great meeting place that does not generate noise. Not once in the 10 years that I have been going there have I experienced any loud noise or any commotion whatsoever.

First of all, it was not a derogatory comment about the police. It was a true statement. I agree the police are entitled to their lunch "hour" also. However, I do not believe the police should spend half of their day in the local diner.

If you agree that there is a problem with illegal parking, then why don't the police start doing something about it and issue tickets?

And for your information, I am from Cranbury and certainly not new to the town.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2