Terrible smell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon-0390

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 4 2017, 2:32 pm EST    Post subject: Terrible smell Reply with quote

What is the terrible smell in town today? I’ve smelled it before- almost a chemical smell. If it’s coming from the warehouses is there something we can do to stop it?
anon-54r5

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 4 2017, 2:39 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell Reply with quote

There is a warehouse that does spices and every so often if the wind blows the wrong way...you get hit with the smell. I know we can't legally stop someone from operating in a warehouse if they are legal and it is a compliant use. However, I wish there could be a filter or something on the warehouse.
anon.oqs4-nnnp

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 4 2017, 5:26 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell Reply with quote

The acrid smell comes from Santa Fe Way [CONAGRA Foods}east side of Route 130 ---the area is zoned warehouse NOT MANUFACTURING. Unfortunatly the Township Committee has allowed this meat flavoring/processing facility to continue operation for years. The smell is worst when there is cloud cover or other atmospheric conditions present. The smell along the lake and near the Cranbury Inn is very bad and sometimes it goes beyond Dey Road and into Plainsboro at the edge of the farm fields. The County Health Department will come out but they will only come out when there are at least three calls to their office. Conagra was supposed to install filter/cleaners and they did but without proper maintenance they will not work. When the system gets overloaded they can bypass the filters and provide us with that horrible smell. We do have a Board of Health in town but they will take No action without the blessing of the Administrator and the Committee. According to the County odor is regulated in this way "Odor is an air contaminant and therefore may be considered Air Pollution if it is present in a way that unreasonably interferes with the enjoyment of life and/or property." A fact sheet Outdoor Odor Complaints [General Public] is available from the County Health Office. If you have any questions or a complaint you may call Middlesex County Air Pollution Control Program monday to friday 8:30- 4:15 at 732 745-8480 you may also call N. J. Department of Environmental Protection Central office. at 609 584-4100.
I cannot believe that so many folks eating out on main street have no idea as to where the terrible smell has been coming from. My guess is that the only way we can get the Township Committee to pay attention is to sign a petition. A number of Committee members are very well aware of the matter [including the Mayor Mr. Cook but they have take No action.
Numerous folks have complained to the Committee but those folks really just brush them off. Maybe if enough people showed up at a Township Committee meeting that might get their attention. A person or two will be allowed to present their view but that is only a courtesy---nothing gets done without a large outcry! If the Four Seasons folks all showed up that might get their attention-------------
anon-54r5

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 4 2017, 5:50 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell Reply with quote

I read the meeting notes and never saw this raised at a meeting.

If it was it must have been years ago. I recommend you go to a TC meeting and ask that the zoning officer and Board of Health respond to the issue. I am sure the TC will look into it if there is a formal complaint. They may not be able to do anything, but when I've asked questions before they were receptive to finding an answer. You won't get that answer here though.

The BOH is totally independent of the TC. Just look at the TC opposing cat licensing and the BOH passed an ordinance supporting it. The county inspector is also an independent law officer and a call to them will get a response.

Three TC members and soon to be four live where the smell would impact them. So wouldn't they have their own interest to solve the issue if they could? They get no more monetary benefit or other benefit from the warehouses than other residents. Therefore, there is no personal gain by not trying to stop the issue.
anon-88r5

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 5 2017, 2:52 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell Reply with quote

I ran into Mr. Taylor today and he stated he was aware of the issue and as is typical there was misinformation in this thread.

1) He asked the administrator to contact the Health Inspector and she did. The County Environmental Division was contacted today and is going to look at the issue to see if everything is as it should be.

2) The town cannot legally stop Conagra. The poster stating the use is not approved for the zone is incorrect. Per Mr. Taylor Conagra is in the Light Industrial zone. So yes there are warehouses, but the LI allows for manufacturing. That is why the town cannot do anything to stop the smell or work being done there.
A duhhhh-sp3n

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 6 2017, 5:59 am EST    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell Reply with quote

I’m really surprised that incorrect information is posted here.
anon-s6p5

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 6 2017, 8:47 am EST    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell Reply with quote

Notice people make all kinds of accusations and comments then disappear when proven wrong. They don’t come back to admit errors.

These people blame the TC or other volunteer entities for any wrong. They seem to fail to consider these volunteers are residents as well and want to make the town great. Mr Cook, Mr Taylor and Mr Muligan’s families and tenure here goes back longer than most so they are not come and leave type people. Yet these posters make false accusations or say worse things about them. Then when shown they are wrong they don’t care to man up and admit a mistake. Nor do they put a name to their post. Mr Moody I respect greatly because when he raises a complaint here he puts his name on it and does not bash the person. Maybe TC members and others would use this forum again if the trolling stopped. It would help all of us learn more. We

No wonder no one wants to run for TC and the BoE elections are rarely contested. You volunteer and get bashed for doing it because some troll has a different view.
industrial hygenist.-nnnp

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 7 2017, 10:15 am EST    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell Reply with quote

The Board of Health and Township might just want to Google Conagra Violations/Fines and see all the violations and fines in many of their other locations and then be sure the emissions from the Cranbury processing plant are safe for the residents?
anon-88r5

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 7 2017, 10:33 am EST    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell Reply with quote

industrial hygenist.-nnnp wrote:
The Board of Health and Township might just want to Google Conagra Violations/Fines and see all the violations and fines in many of their other locations and then be sure the emissions from the Cranbury processing plant are safe for the residents?

That is a good point. Hopefully, someone from the TC reads this. That type of information is useful.

Perhaps you should email the Mayor, Mr. Cooke- dcook@cranbury-nj.com or Mr. Taylor who may be checking this issue- jtaylor@cranbury-nj.com to be safe that they see this.
Smell News-9s93

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 7 2017, 12:20 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell Reply with quote

We have an update and now know the acrid smell comes from the blue home on North Main Street [Roy Reinhardt's home}North main street ---the area is zoned residential NOT MANUFACTURING. Unfortunatly the Township Committee has allowed Roy Reinhardt's horrible smelling ass to continue operation for years. The smell is worst when there is cloud cover or other atmospheric conditions present. The smell along the lake and near the Cranbury Inn is very bad and sometimes it goes beyond Dey Road and into Plainsboro at the edge of the farm fields. The County Health Department will come out but they will only come out when there are at least three calls to their office. Roy Reinhardt was supposed to install filter/cleaners for his ass and he did but without proper maintenance they will not work. When the system gets overloaded by Roy's Ripened Gastric Emissions Roy can bypass the filters and provide us with that horrible smell. We do have a Board of Health in town but they will take No action without the blessing of the Administrator and the Committee. According to the County odor is regulated in this way "Odor is an air contaminant and therefore may be considered Air Pollution if it is present in a way that unreasonably interferes with the enjoyment of life and/or property." A fact sheet Outdoor Odor Complaints [General Public] is available from the County Health Office. If you have any questions or a complaint you may call Middlesex County Air Pollution Control Program monday to friday 8:30- 4:15 at 732 745-8480 you may also call N. J. Department of Environmental Protection Central office. at 609 584-4100.
I cannot believe that so many folks eating out on main street have no idea as to where the terrible smell has been coming from. My guess is that the only way we can get the Township Committee to pay attention is to sign a petition to stop Roy's Ass emissions. A number of Committee members are very well aware of the matter [including the Mayor Mr. Cook but they have take No action.
Numerous folks have complained to the Committee but those folks really just brush them off. Maybe if enough people showed up at a Township Committee meeting that might get their attention. A person or two will be allowed to present their view on Roy's ASS but that is only a courtesy---nothing gets done without a large outcry! If the Four Seasons folks all showed up that might get their attention-------------
anon-88r5

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 7 2017, 2:11 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell Reply with quote

What about the invasion of Christmas decorations!! We should have a dark unlit Main St at Christmas. How much are we spending with beautiful lit wreathes downtown and garland on the lake? At least 10.00 of my tax money is used to pay for electric for all those LEDs. Who needs to make the town look nice at tax payer expense!!

Just look at the home of TC member Mr. Taylor he lives in one of the most historic homes in town and has blow ups in his yard eee gawd!! How dare he do something that wastes energy and likely makes his kids happy. His kids should learn now that life is tough not funny happy looking blow ups.

As a 1,000 plus year resident of Cranbury who remembers a time when only native americans were here and met Good ol'George Washington and Hamilton pre-broadway fame I am aghast that the home where they met has an inflatable nutcracker or snowman. Georgie and Hammy would find it so British. My time here gives me the right to always tell people how the town should be and how it was better in the olden days.

Then you have the alien landing zone on N. Main put on by the Shaw family. How dare they bring enjoyment to others (seriously I can understand immediate neighbors issues and concerns) while I live outside of town and never see it. Cranbury is historic and even though I never see the Shaw home I am dismayed that it is occurring and it bothers me. He should consider my feelings alone not his families, those helped by him or those find it entertaining. Besides, while nice it is not like it is a Christmas Light Fight quality winner. So if he's going to do it, then do it right and plug into the Salem Nuclear plant, use the backyard and build a Santa village with Disney level animatronics- Just be sure in this PC age not to have Santa say, "Ho Ho Ho" too loud. The wrong person could think he is being suggestive and sue. We don't need to see the Cranbury Press headline Shaws Santa Unplugged due to Sexual Harassment on N Main. And make sure like Matt Lauer no one looks to see what is in his sack just in case.

Then we have a Christmas Tree and Menorah. I celebrate Festivus for the Rest of Us. If there is a holiday caroling and santa visit supported by local entities then I want my airing of grievances to be held at the old firehouse as well, my feat of strength contest at the gym and a big pole right next to the Christmas tree.

The TC knows all about these issues, don't tell me they do not. I don't go to a meeting and complain why should I take that time of 10 minutes away from my life. I am too busy with my pet rocks. They either seem to keep dying on me-- they never eat and drink or worse they keeping having babies. They multiply rapidly, every time I let them outside I open the door and see thousands more. Animal control and the shelter won't take them so I am left caring for them. Every time I open my front door rocks come out. But, I do send the TC messages through my special aluminum foil hat I wear. I put it on and walk up and down Main St. sending my thoughts to them.

And just in case, the above is just a joke about what this posting on Cranbury.info has become.
anon-q2r7

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 10 2017, 2:41 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell Reply with quote

Why was Conagra allowed in the first place? This smell is disturbing. Something needs to be done about this.
anon-s6p5

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 10 2017, 2:52 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell Reply with quote

anon-q2r7 wrote:
Why was Conagra allowed in the first place? This smell is disturbing. Something needs to be done about this.

It was allowed as the post above stated because that is the zone LI. The town cannot stop a business from operating in the specified zone. That would be illegal and the town would lose a suit. The only thing to be done is what it seems Mr. Taylor did. Ask the county to ensure the filtration is operational.

Hopefully we don’t allow recreational marijuana sales when Murphy opens the law. We’ll have a different smell. But Teddy’s and Cranbury Pizza will be packed.
anon-698o

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 10 2017, 4:38 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell Reply with quote

"Hopefully we don’t allow recreational marijuana sales when Murphy opens the law. We’ll have a different smell. But Teddy’s and Cranbury Pizza will be packed."

LOL. I was wondering what PCP Home was, now I know.
anon;op3-nnnp

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 15 2017, 1:49 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell Reply with quote

Today Dec,15 2017 the smell permeates all of the town.again!!! It seems that no action has been taken. Does anyone know what can be done to rid us of this terrible smell?
anon-408q

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 15 2017, 1:57 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Terrible smell Reply with quote

anon;op3-nnnp wrote:
Today Dec,15 2017 the smell permeates all of the town.again!!! It seems that no action has been taken. Does anyone know what can be done to rid us of this terrible smell?

You do realize things take time. People don’t just drop everything because you post. If a complaint was registered they likely need to schedule a visit. Or maybe they did and cited them with a violation that will be appealed or maybe they were cited and need to fix something.

The use is approved. The best we can hope for is that something is broken and being fixed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2