Cranbury home $895,000 (Symmes Ct.; reduced)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
home

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 3 2018, 5:07 pm EDT    Post subject: Cranbury home $895,000 (Symmes Ct.; reduced) Reply with quote

$1,299,000
$1,199,000
$1,100,000
$995,000
$895,000

6 beds
4 full, 1 half baths
3,137 sq ft
0.36 acres lot
year: 1929

This one-of-a-kind Tudor home, a noble presence on a corner lot in historic Cranbury, bears all the striking exterior hallmarks: decorative half-timbering, dramatic slate roofline, and leaded windows. Inside, period millwork, stained glass, built-ins, and hardwoods complement modern features created by a major renovation, like a gourmet kitchen with all the chef needs: fine appliances, marble worktop, stainless island, and more. The Garden Room is warm with skylights, a gas fireplace, and radiant heat floor. French doors lead to a fireside living room and music/game rooms with bookcases. 4 bedrooms and 2 baths on the 2nd floor include one accessing a deck. The master floor has lots of flexibility, encompassing a vaulted bedroom, lovely bath, and 2 rooms that can be anything you wish: offices, dressing room, den. Storybrook grounds frame a gazebo, charming potting shed, and dappled lawns with an irrigation system and outdoor LED lighting. 9 miles to Princeton, 6 miles to the Princeton Junction Train, and blocks to charming downtown Cranbury.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/7-Symmes-Ct_Cranbury_NJ_08512_M51208-73083

Last edited by home on Sat, Apr 18 2020, 1:50 pm EDT; edited 6 times in total
anon-4os8

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 4 2018, 9:55 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Cranbury home $1,299,000 (Symmes Ct.) Reply with quote

LOL at the asking price.

There's always brokers ready to take on unrealistic clients hoping to keep the business as they gradually reduce their expectations. But they give the buyers false hope in the process. These people clearly don't really want to sell their house and are infested with the common bias that their particular house is special and worthy of an asking price 50% over fair market. That's certainly their right and I'm sure there will be some curious people who tour. But no one's going to pay even close to a $1M for that house let alone $1.3M.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 4 2018, 10:45 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Cranbury home $1,299,000 (Symmes Ct.) Reply with quote

anon-4os8 wrote:
LOL at the asking price.

There's always brokers ready to take on unrealistic clients hoping to keep the business as they gradually reduce their expectations. But they give the buyers false hope in the process. These people clearly don't really want to sell their house and are infested with the common bias that their particular house is special and worthy of an asking price 50% over fair market. That's certainly their right and I'm sure there will be some curious people who tour. But no one's going to pay even close to a $1M for that house let alone $1.3M.

Have a look at the prior sold price in 2005. This one seems to be special.
anon-4os8

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 4 2018, 12:20 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Cranbury home $1,299,000 (Symmes Ct.) Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
anon-4os8 wrote:
LOL at the asking price.

Have a look at the prior sold price in 2005. This one seems to be special.

Go for it then. If someone is willing to pay the price, then by all means. They would have to know that they would have to wait for another buyer willing to pay a massive premium over the cost-per-foot value of the neighborhood or town when they eventually sold. On a ratio of cost-per-foot and per acreage it might be the most expensive purchase in Cranbury history at that listing price. There have been homes that sold for more, but they were twice as large and had many-times the amount of land and amenities.

But as I said before, they have the right to list it for whatever they want, even if it is over $300K more than the tax assessed value, more than the all-time market peak and $450K more than the market assessed value.
anon-2163

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 5 2018, 9:57 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Cranbury home $1,299,000 (Symmes Ct.) Reply with quote

It's a beautiful home with a lot of character. I would love a house like that, but it's way, way out of my price range. If I were able to spend that kind of money on a home I would much prefer this one to the cookie cutter houses that are listed in the same range.
anon-s6p5

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 5 2018, 12:03 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Cranbury home $1,299,000 (Symmes Ct.) Reply with quote

This is a wonderful home and one of the top 10 homes in Cranbury. If money were no issue and I were looking at homes in Cranbury then I would definitely consider it. There is a lot of character.

I'd say in no order the Truxton House, original Manse on Symmes, the George Washington House, the Victorian across from the lake, a couple on the lake, the house on the corner of Cranbury Neck, the house next to the Presbyterian Church, the home on the corner of Symmes, and the tan one on the corner of Main and Cranbury Neck are my favorites. There are other nice homes in town, I just like the character of the older homes if cost is no concern.

The fact is whether it is over valued or not depends on someone willing to pay the price and what the bank feels it's worth. I hope they get this price because 1) it would be great for the homeowner selling and 2) would help all of our home prices. The more homes sell high in Cranbury the more all our homes are worth. So wishing ill or complaining of being over valued goes against our own individidual interests.
anon-2163

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 5 2018, 12:26 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Cranbury home $1,299,000 (Symmes Ct.) Reply with quote

anon-s6p5 wrote:
This is a wonderful home and one of the top 10 homes in Cranbury. If money were no issue and I were looking at homes in Cranbury then I would definitely consider it. There is a lot of character.

I'd say in no order the Truxton House, original Manse on Symmes, the George Washington House, the Victorian across from the lake, a couple on the lake, the house on the corner of Cranbury Neck, the house next to the Presbyterian Church, the home on the corner of Symmes, and the tan one on the corner of Main and Cranbury Neck are my favorites. There are other nice homes in town, I just like the character of the older homes if cost is no concern.

The fact is whether it is over valued or not depends on someone willing to pay the price and what the bank feels it's worth. I hope they get this price because 1) it would be great for the homeowner selling and 2) would help all of our home prices. The more homes sell high in Cranbury the more all our homes are worth. So wishing ill or complaining of being over valued goes against our own individidual interests.

Absolutely right. There is a house on Silvers for sale at almost the same price. It's true that the Silvers house is bigger and has a pool, but for someone like me, I don't really want a pool (I wouldn't use it and it's too much upkeep) and the house is not to my taste. If I were in the market at this price point (which I'm sadly not) the Symmes house would be my first choice.
anon-20op

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 6 2018, 8:25 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Cranbury home $1,299,000 (Symmes Ct.) Reply with quote

The house on Silvers Lane is almost twice as big and has exponentially more land. The reality is within the same submarket sq. footage and acreage and the primary drivers of market value. Sure you may occasionally find buyers willing to pay a a significant premium above market value for a home but not the often and it's a much narrower pool of buyers. The fact that the previous buyer over-paid once before is no indicator of whether someone will again.

If the sellers are just testing out the market to see if they get lucky then sure why not see if they net one of those exceptional buyers. If they are motivated sellers this house will eventually sell for hundreds-of-thousands less than he current asking price.

We'll see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> House For Sale All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1