Save Our Library
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon-88r5

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 11 2016, 2:53 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

Are they though? Or is this Cranbury.info just being Cranbury.info.

I go in about once a week. I've never been asked or harassed about the building. This week I went in I actually asked about the post card post here. I was shown a card on the counter. No one asked me to take one do anything. Nor was anyone to my knowledge who checked out. I saw three people check books out while I was there about 30 minutes or so.
anon-0292

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 1:03 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

"So what is the point of the post card? I have been in 3-4 times this week and was not asked once or handed a post card." (prev post)

Depends when you went & who* checked you out.

Mid June Marilynn Mullen (Cranbury PUBLIC employee & Library Foundation Member) and Heidi Bloom Leeds (Cranbury PUBLIC employee)[ *a real lackey. other staff more independent] actively gave out postcards at library. Kathy Lehr (Cranbury PUBLIC employee & Library Foundation Officer) has distributed these at library, and 4 Seasons, Housing Authority, wine socials...
(see the conflict of interest with employee\non-profit AND supervisor\employee)

Complaints were then received at Town Hall and postcards were pulled for about 10 days. Now Library Foundation put the cards back out at library circulation desk. You're given one if you ask for it.

The point of the post card that TC knows it will be saddled with a new library building once the Library Foundation raises the $3.2million. Venanzi, Ferrante, et al. want you to tell TC how much you want a new building. They know the opposition just rants here, which is not an official comment or response for TC to consider.

However, TC knows 90% of taxpayers don't want another municipal facility to maintain in perpetuity. You know, like those lovely, empty green baseball fields.
anon-2o78

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 12 2016, 11:52 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

anon-4898 wrote:
What would you have the TC members do?

- Regardless of your stance there are supporters of building a library. They have the same right as those opposed.

- The TC has stated that they are fine with a privately built library.

- The library is fund raising just as any charity.

So how do you propose the TC tells residents to stop fund raising when the group doing so is a private entity. The fund raising is not being run by the township controlled library, but a private foundation.

To what degree does the public library use library resources to fundraise for other "private charities"?

The library has taken more than half million dollars from the library operating budget for the new library fund and claimed it as part of their "private fundraising efforts" AND the library staff has dedicated significant amounts of paid time to the effort to build the new library.
anon-s6p5

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 13 2016, 7:26 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

The money from taxes is legally their money to do as they feel appropriate. Legally, they can allocate the money to a new building.

I do not know if you are correct about fundraising on tax payer time. I don't see pointing people to a post card as a material work.

Further, the library employees are not two employees. The library has their own board. It is the same as the twp not controlling the school. While tax money goes to both the school and library the stack controls neither.
anon-s6p5

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 13 2016, 7:27 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

Spell check. I meant to say the TC controls neither school or library.
anon-300n

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 13 2016, 8:45 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

The township does control the library despite what is claimed. The township can choose to fund or de-fund the library. If the town funds the library, there is a formula on what can be spent via a ratio of tax revenue. The town can choose to defund the library and choose to pay a fee to another town for use of their libary. The power of the purse is the ultimate control for the library.
anon-88r5

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 13 2016, 10:49 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

anon-300n wrote:
The township does control the library despite what is claimed. The township can choose to fund or de-fund the library. If the town funds the library, there is a formula on what can be spent via a ratio of tax revenue. The town can choose to defund the library and choose to pay a fee to another town for use of their libary. The power of the purse is the ultimate control for the library.

Very few people are going to support closing the library. Even the most ardent opponents of a stand alone library want a library in town. I can't see any TC member dissolving the library.

As such as long as we have a library the TC has no power to defund the library as the funding is state law and the town is not contributing additional funds.
open on Sunday-32n2

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 13 2016, 4:56 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

I think the library should be open on Sunday. The money received from the taxpayers for the library should be used to fund current operations instead of being saved for the new building.
main street-0582

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 14 2016, 9:42 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

The library in town is a nice amenity quite satisfactory as it is now. I get it that library aficionados want Sunday hours, but this library has very low usage with its current operating hours, it can not justify additional hours even on a 7th day.

The library board & foundation choose not to see beyond their myopia. A new library building will be dead weight on our fiscal shoulders.
anon-pr2p

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 15 2016, 9:20 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

If the usage is so low that it is justified to close the library on Sunday, how can the Township Committee and Library Board feel it is justified to redirect a half million of taxpayer money to fund a new library building?
anon-s6p5

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 15 2016, 4:37 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

The TC has no control over library surplus or budget only whether they provide additional funds which they do not do. Please know the facts. The library is funded purely by a state mandates tax. If the library earmarks funds for a new library, wages, books or any other item related to the library the TC cannot touch it.
mailer-32n2

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 15 2016, 7:22 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

A recent flyer mailed out showed the library would break ground when there was still half a million left to raise. Perhaps that is what the previous poster was referring to. I think it showed half a million to raise until they would break ground, then another half million until they reached what is needed. So still a million short?
anon-s6p5

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 15 2016, 11:13 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

The TC has been clear there is no money coming. I asked Mr. Taylor and his response to me was the same as the paper. He has made a private pledge of money, but is opposed to the town spending money. It seemed from the conversation that this was a TC view as well as when asked he said he would be surprised if other TC members in this climate of expenses with affordable housing would approve funding.

The library also can't break ground until the town turn overs the land. So we'll see if the TC turns over land prior to funds being available.
anon-q2q6

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 15 2016, 11:28 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

anon-s6p5 wrote:
The money from taxes is legally their money to do as they feel appropriate. Legally, they can allocate the money to a new building. I do not know if you are correct about fundraising on tax payer time. I don't see pointing people to a post card as a material work.

The library director is consumed by the prospect of a new building. Unfortunately this comes at the expense of the current library... reduced night and weekend hours; less programming; unrealized opportunities for efficiencies with the school; bloated payroll; elimination of library fundraising; etc.

The fact is, we pay for and deserve a better library in the present. The question is, are the issues with the current library a result of incompetence or the result of being distracted by the prospect of a new library? If you think the issue is incompetence, then a change of leadership is in order; if you think this issue is the distraction of the prospect of a new building, then a change of focus is in order.

Either way... Save Our Library!
nair-015n

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 8 2019, 3:41 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

Cranbury status - National Library Week 2019:

Director Mullen current salary $81,000 per annum.

Even by generous definition Director Mullen is grossly overpaid in her position.
No leadership skill to navigate the important library institution to function (and bloom) in it's current model.
No business acumen to steward a new building.
Director Mullen does have an acute bias to her neighbors and friends, and benefactors on the Board. She has no sense of inclusion to anyone not on Main Street.

Cranbury needs a visionary, dynamic Library Director.
SAVE OUR LIBRARY
anon-8r76

PostPosted: Thu, May 2 2019, 1:37 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

Troll!! 👍🏻
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12