A-500 passed the State Assembly Today...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cranbury Conservative

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 16 2008, 6:25 pm EDT    Post subject: A-500 passed the State Assembly Today... Reply with quote

The New Jersey State Assembly approved bill A-500 on Monday by a vote of 45-33. The bill will most likely go before the State Senate next week and be approved.
James

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 16 2008, 7:37 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: A-500 passed the State Assembly Today... Reply with quote

Not good news. Do you know if Linda or Wayne voted for it? If so we need to make sure they get very little support from Cranbury voters.

I hear the Jaws sound track playing now.
Cranbury Conservative

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 16 2008, 9:04 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: A-500 passed the State Assembly Today... Reply with quote

The official roll call is not available yet. If you have several hours to kill then you can view todays assembly session on line at

A-500 is at the 1 hour and ninteen minute mark of the session...

http://rmserver.njleg.state.nj.us/internet/2008/A/0616-0100PM-1.wmv
wcody

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 16 2008, 11:05 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: A-500 passed the State Assembly Today... Reply with quote

Release Date: Jun 16 2008
ASSEMBLY DEMOCRATS NEWS RELEASE

COMPREHENSIVE AFFORDABLE HOUSING REFORM PLAN CLEARS ASSEMBLY

Bill Would Implement Most Comprehensive Reform
Of State's Affordable Housing Laws in Over Two Decades

(TRENTON) - The Assembly today passed landmark legislation to reform the state's affordable housing program by implementing more equitable housing practices and increasing affordable housing availability across the state.

The measure passed the Assembly 45 to 33 with two abstentions and is now poised to head to the Senate for further consideration.

The measure is sponsored by Assembly Speaker Joseph J. Roberts, Jr., Assembly Majority Leader Bonnie Watson Coleman, Assembly Speaker Pro-Tempore Jerry Green, Assemblymen Tom Giblin and Albert Coutinho, and Assemblywoman Mila Jasey.

"The Legislature can no longer take an ostrich-like view of the state's housing policy," said Roberts (D-Camden). "New Jerseyans need homes they can afford and jobs they can reach. The state must lead by example by expanding access to equitable and affordable housing."

The bill (A-500) would overhaul the state's affordable housing laws for the first time in over two decades to provide more low- and middle-income New Jersey families with access to housing in communities across the state.

Roberts said he took action to craft the measure following reports that indicated many New Jersey families are pulling up stakes and moving elsewhere because they can no longer afford to live in the state.

"The time has finally come for New Jersey to open the door to affordable housing for the countless working families who are in need of a reasonably priced place to call home," said Watson Coleman (D-Mercer). "Every New Jerseyan deserves to have a choice in where they live and access to a home that is within their means."

"Low-income New Jersey families are burdened by some of the highest rents and housing costs in the nation," said Green (D-Union), chairman of the housing panel. "We have a moral responsibility to countless New Jerseyans - disabled residents, families living on limited incomes, and senior citizens - to ensure access to housing is safe and affordable."

Roberts (D-Camden) said he and his colleagues have been working to refine the measure since the proposal was first unveiled last November.

The multi-faceted plan is aimed at increasing production of affordable housing and easing the ability of working families to secure an affordable place to live. Specifically the bill would:

Abolish "regional contribution agreements," (RCAs) ending the practice of allowing municipalities to duck their affordable housing responsibilities while generating new funding through a 2.5 percent fee on nonresidential development. These funds may be used for new construction or rehabilitation of affordable housing units;
Establish a 20-percent affordable housing set aside for all state-assisted development projects - including smart growth areas and transit villages;
Promote the production of housing units by setting-aside 13 percent of all affordable housing for families earning less than 30 percent of the state's median income and;
Require one-for-one replacement of deed-restricted affordable housing units lost through redevelopment;
Create an "Affordable Housing Trust Fund;"
Require towns to commit municipal housing trust fund dollars to affordable housing within their borders;
Allows municipalities in the Highlands, Pinelands, Meadowlands, Fort Monmouth, and Atlantic City regions to collectively provide affordable housing to promote targeted growth based on employment opportunities and transportation;
Mandate municipalities to provide density bonuses to developers constructing inclusionary developments;
Permit private developers of inclusionary development projects to compete for federal low-income tax credits;
Require all state agencies, when creating new rules, to include a housing affordability impact statement in their rule publications
Establish a state Housing Commission charged with developing an annual strategic housing plan and submitting annual reports to the Legislature;
Ensure a better system for tracking progress on affordable housing through regular publication of statistical reports; and
Codifying vacant land adjustment which allows COAH to adjust municipal affordable housing obligations downward if a municipality has insufficient vacant land to satisfy its obligation.
"We must give state officials, towns and developers every tool possible to promote the construction of new affordable housing," said Giblin (D-Essex). "By working together, the public and private sector can make the dream of home ownership a reality for working families.

"New Jersey cannot continue as a state comprised of towns where a lack of affordable housing blocks police, firefighters, or teachers from living in the communities they serve," said Coutinho (D-Essex). "This overhaul of the state's affordable housing laws is long overdue."

The legislation was crafted after a review of housing policies in other states and following discussion with the Department of Community Affairs, other legislators, and input from a wide array of organizations: Housing and Community Development Network, Coalition for Affordable Housing and Environment, Homes for New Jersey, New Jersey Apartment Association, the New Jersey Builders Association, New Jersey Chapter of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties and New Jersey League of Municipalities.

"Thousands of working New Jersey families spend upwards of one-third of their hard earned incomes just to keep a roof over their heads," said Jasey (D-Essex). "New Jersey must make significant changes to its affordable housing policies to bring real relief to the many New Jersey families who are struggling to keep up with the ever-growing cost of housing."

Assembly Speaker Roberts
Assembly Majority Leader Watson Coleman

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 16 2008, 11:43 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: A-500 passed the State Assembly Today... Reply with quote

good article from Hank promoting a building cap at 15-25%

Quote:
UPDATED: Additional thoughts on affordable housing
With the Assembly poised to vote on a major reform of New Jersey's affordable housing laws -- a vote that was scheduled for this afternoon -- it is important to remind people that the goal of the state's program is to ensure that municipalities cannot zone classes of people out of their communities. (UPDATE: The Assembly approved the bill by a 45-33 vote, with two abstensions.)

The question of affordable housing and zoning has been on the state's agenda -- and, to a degree, unresolved -- since the first Mount Laurel decision in the late-1970s. In that decision, the state Supreme Court ruled that Mount Laurel, a suburban community in Burlington County, was using its land-use laws to boost upper-income housing at the expense of housing for lower-income residents. The court overturned the local zoning rules and determined that "developing towns" had a responsibility to provide their fair share of the regional need for low- and moderate-income housing.

The idea was to prevent municipal boundaries from becoming hard and fast "red lines" separating New Jersey citizens by race and class.

The Legislature failed to respond and a second Mount Laurel decision came in 1983 -- eight years after the first -- ordering the state to create a mechanism to ensure the provision of affordable housing. The state was carved up into income zones -- Cranbury, Jamesburg, Monroe and South Brunswick are in the Middlesex, Somerset, Hunterdon zone -- and each developing town was assigned a number of units for which it was responsible.

South Brunswick, for instance, has been responsible for about 937 units during the first two rounds, Cranbury 223 and Monroe 613.

A provision was built-in, however, allowing towns to pay urban communities to take on up to half the units -- which both Cranbury and Monroe have done. South Brunswick has built or zoned for the full number in town.

The mechanism, called a regional contribution agreement, were designed to allow developing communities to limit the impact at home of the state-mandate, but in my view violated the spirit of the Mount Laurel decisions. In the second Mount Laurel decision, Chief Justice Robert Wilentz wrote (quoted from New Jersey: Spotlight on Government (fifth edition), published by the League of Women Voters of New Jersey Education Fund) that:

The basis for the constitutional obligation is simple: the State controls the use of land, all of the land. In exercising that control it cannot favor rich over poor. It cannot legislatively set aside dilapidated housing in urban ghettos for the poor and decent housing elsewhere for everyone else. The government that controls this land represents everyone. While the State may not have the ability to eliminate poverty, it cannot use that condition for the basis for imposing further disadvantages. And the same applies to the municipality, to which this control over land has been constitutionally delegated.

The clarity of the constitutional obligation is seen most simply by imagining what this state could be like were this claim never to be recognized and enforced: poor people forever zoned out of substantial areas of the state, not because housing could not be built for them but because they are not wanted; poor people forced to live in urban slums forever not because suburbia, developing rural areas, fully developed residential sections, seashore resorts, and other attractive locations could not accommodate them, but simply because they are not wanted. It is a vision not only at variance with the requirement that the zoning power be used for the general welfare but with all concepts of fundamental fairness and decency that underpin many constitutional obligations.

RCAs, as they are know, have always been an out, a way of diminishing obligations in the suburbs and ensuring that a large number of affordable units stay in the cities. While some of the rationales used to defend the use of RCAs are legitimate -- preservation of open space and historic properties, as in Cranbury -- the end result is the same: fewer affordable units in the suburbs.

It is no accident that New Jersey is among the most segregated states in the nation.

The RCA is not the only flaw in the Fair Housing Act. It also fails to recognize other public needs and impacts -- such as land preservation, the tax costs associated with adding students to schools and building new infrastructure -- and generally has left builders in the driver's seat (towns that do not comply with the state Council on Affordable Housing and receive certification could be prone to lawsuits that might force an even greater amount of housing, both affordable and market-rate, on the community).

The Roberts bill offers a first step toward reform by ending RCAs, replacing the cash generated for poor communities with a trust fund and requiring that land preservation be taken into account.

But it still leaves in place the possibility that a community could be required to increase its housing obligation by such a degree as to alter the community's character. This is the argument being made in Cranbury -- 600-plus affordable units, which is what would end up being required under the latest round (the 120 built plus nearly 500 new ones), would represent more than 40 percent of the total housing stock in this new Cranbury -- an absurd calculus that is driving the debate and could result in some drastic solutions.

As I wrote in an editorial last week, a much broader set of reforms is needed -- including revenue sharing or a new tax system that allows jobs and housing to be viewed regionally rather than as parochially as it has been (too many decisions are made right now that are based solely on whether a project will generate property tax revenue and not on other factors) and a cap on the number of units any town can be forced to accept (somewhere between 15 percent and 25 percent of the total housing stock.

The Roberts bill is not perfect, but it has the potential to renovate the system and make it better.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 17 2008, 12:57 am EDT    Post subject: Re: A-500 passed the State Assembly Today... Reply with quote

In his own words, here's a video from Roberts about A-500

CranburyNJ.info Roberts Video on A-500 http://cranbury.ning.com/video/video/show?id=2156937%3AVideo%3A65
James

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 17 2008, 7:48 am EDT    Post subject: Re: A-500 passed the State Assembly Today... Reply with quote

Can anyone please tell me why we continue to vote Democrate at the state level and ignore how we as residents are being punished by that decision. I can understand being upset at a federal level with President Bush. However, on a state level between Corzine with his union give backs, higher sales taxes, new sales taxes, toll plan and failure to implement any real property tax relief to the assembly and senate with A-500 bills or even the idea of reducing the drug free zones w are continuing to be run by a party that is making business and life harder iand more unaffordable in the state. The A500 bill is going to dramatically increase the property taxes outside of the cities.

Please remember that Linda Greenstein abstained, she neither voted against or tried to influence a vote against A-500. She ignored the please for help and her voters. Rather she played the political game by abstaining. Therefore, I cannot see justification for Cranbury voters to support her in her relection bid.

Wayne DeAngelo is even worse. He completely ignored our pleas.
Cranbury Conservative

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 17 2008, 8:14 am EDT    Post subject: Re: A-500 passed the State Assembly Today... Reply with quote

James,

Where did you see the roll call for the vote?
James

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 17 2008, 8:20 am EDT    Post subject: Re: A-500 passed the State Assembly Today... Reply with quote

Page A 12 of the Trenton Times this morning. The article stated that the vote was along party lines. Greenstein and Vincent Prieto- D Hundson were the only one's to abstain.

Linda Steder D- Union voted no and was the only Dem to do that. She was the only one with courage in my opinion. I say that because Lesniak is from Union. So his assemblywoman went against him. That is what I look for in an elected official. Not someone who tries to play it safe or votes party line, but votes for what they feel is right.

No Republicans voted for it.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 17 2008, 8:50 am EDT    Post subject: Re: A-500 passed the State Assembly Today... Reply with quote

I'll vote the Republican at the state level in Nov.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 17 2008, 8:53 am EDT    Post subject: Re: A-500 passed the State Assembly Today... Reply with quote

It is no surprise that DeAngelo voted in favor. To my knowledge, he was unresponsive to the letters coming out of Cranbury - either stating his opposition for A-500 or the basis for his support. So much for being our representative. I understand that legislators cannot make everyone happy on every issue. But failure to engage one's constituents in open discussion over an issue that concerns them --unacceptable. I plan on contacting his office when I return to NJ and make this point. Greenstein played safe politics - no real surprise there either.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 17 2008, 8:56 am EDT    Post subject: Re: A-500 passed the State Assembly Today... Reply with quote

I have to say I disagree with the term safe politics on Greenstein. I think she felt she was playing safe politics and she did play it if we give her a pass. We have to hold her accountable and say abstaining is as good as a yes vote. She did nothing to help us.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 17 2008, 12:26 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: A-500 passed the State Assembly Today... Reply with quote

I could not agree more - by safe politics, I meant from the perspective of inside Trenton. We - constituents - need to be more vocal and hold our elected officials accountable. Again, I don't expect every vote in Trenton to "go my way". But our officials need to have open dialogue with their constituents.
Cranbury Conservative

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 17 2008, 12:54 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: A-500 passed the State Assembly Today... Reply with quote

The official Roll Call is available on the New Jersey Legislature Web Site

A-500 Vote:

DeAngelo, Wayne P. - Yes

Greenstein, Linda R. - Abstain
Jersey Dad

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 17 2008, 6:09 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: A-500 passed the State Assembly Today... Reply with quote

I may be an optimist, but I think abstaining puts Greenstein in the best position to help Cranbury. Voting against the bill would not have changed the outcome. At this point, Cranbury needs to work with COAH to arrive at a reasonable obligation based on financial impact, historical & farmland preservation and the warehouse jobs study. We need powerful political friends who are considered "fair" by both sides. People with a deep history of these issues have told me she has been fair in the past. I hope this proves true. I plan to continue reaching out to her and other potential friends for their support.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 17 2008, 6:16 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: A-500 passed the State Assembly Today... Reply with quote

If she truly wanted to help she could have convinced Wayne and a few others to make changes and not left the one Dem from Union alone. Once the bill passes the senate COAH will have no reason to work with Cranbury. They have the mandate and the law on their side. Linda does not have any capital to extend to force COAH into working with us.

The really funny thing to me is that the Dems all ignored the league of municipalities in voting party line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3