Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Shopping | Good Deals | Price Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 5 2010, 4:15 pm EDT    Post subject: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

Can you see from anywhere else?

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 5 2010, 4:23 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

The pnc bank parking lot. Oh wait that is not allowed any more.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 5 2010, 5:39 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

You can see it from both sides of Main Street at the bridge at Brainard Lake. Many people even prefer the view from here to the park.
local

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 5 2010, 7:32 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

What time do they start?

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 5 2010, 7:38 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

local wrote:
What time do they start?

When the sky is dark. My guess is around 9pm.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 5 2010, 10:00 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
local wrote:
What time do they start?

When the sky is dark. My guess is around 9pm.

They always say 9 but it is never dark enough at 9. The earliest I have ever seen it really begin is 9:15. It was closer to 9:30 tonight despite perfect conditions.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 6 2010, 11:36 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

At the top of the old water tower.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 6 2010, 11:41 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

the fireworks were wonderful !
I watched them from across route 130 and had a perfect view and did not have to fight all the traffic.

BTW does anyone know how much the fireworks cost? I hope we can keep them going in future years.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 6 2010, 8:38 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

I heard that they cost aout 8000.00 but don't know if that includes police overtime etc.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 6 2010, 8:45 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

There were a ton more out of towners there this year. I asked a few of them how they knew about it and they said they had read about it in US1 and other sources. It was a boon for Gil & Bert's. We should figure out how to have other local businesses setup near the park to get more revenue from the non-Cranbury visitors.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 6 2010, 9:39 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

I heard it costs about $5,000 which is about $1 per resident.

I agree with the idea of allowing merchants to offset costs. IMO we should have rates for non-local merchants (glow sticks, funnel cake, etc.), local merchants (ice cream, subs and pizza), and non-profits (lions club 50/50, historic society flags, CAC crafts, etc.).
Guest11111

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 7 2010, 6:37 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

5k is the cost for the fireworks display itself. It doesn't include the insurance, DPW, or police overtime. It is a nice event but in the day of fiscal responsiblity(remember separating wants from needs) and a 2.5 cap I cannot help but wonder if this is the sort of sacred cow we should be spending money on. I put the Memorial Day Parade and Cranbury in this same category. I like these events, don't get me wrong, but I'm just not sure that they are responsible anymore.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 7 2010, 7:31 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

Let me get this straight. We should no longer spend money on "Cranbury".

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 7 2010, 7:32 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Let me get this straight. We should no longer spend money on "Cranbury".

S/he probably meant Cranbury Day.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 7 2010, 8:50 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

Guest11111 wrote:
5k is the cost for the fireworks display itself. It doesn't include the insurance, DPW, or police overtime. It is a nice event but in the day of fiscal responsiblity(remember separating wants from needs) and a 2.5 cap I cannot help but wonder if this is the sort of sacred cow we should be spending money on. I put the Memorial Day Parade and Cranbury in this same category. I like these events, don't get me wrong, but I'm just not sure that they are responsible anymore.

Okay so don't go, but why ruin for the majority of us. I pay taxes too, more than most. As do the group of about 10 families I was with on Memorial Day and the 4th. We all commented about the fireworks how lucky we are to have them and that the costs are well worth it. The DPW crew does not work OT on the 5th, the police do, but it's not a full squad and the fireworks are for the whole town to enjoy.

It is posts like this that can cause problems. The TC sees them and then at budget time starts cutting, soon we don't have any of the things that make Cranbury fun.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 7 2010, 9:15 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Guest11111 wrote:

Okay so don't go, but why ruin for the majority of us. I pay taxes too, more than most. As do the group of about 10 families I was with on Memorial Day and the 4th. We all commented about the fireworks how lucky we are to have them and that the costs are well worth it. The DPW crew does not work OT on the 5th, the police do, but it's not a full squad and the fireworks are for the whole town to enjoy.

It is posts like this that can cause problems. The TC sees them and then at budget time starts cutting, soon we don't have any of the things that make Cranbury fun.

Add me to your list of people who pay more than average taxes (3X the township average) who is for spending a little on the fireworks, parade and Cranbury Day. I am all for being fiscally responsible and didn't support buying the bank building or the ballpark. But this is extremist.

We don't need to worry. The TC members know these are popular events for a vast majority of locals and pretty cheap. They aren't going anywhere. So the tiny minority who want to complain about everything can vent all they want but it won't change a thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Shopping | Good Deals | Price Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4