Sad news!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Tech Related (PC, Internet, HDTV, etc.)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 11 2011, 10:57 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Maybe it's a geek/nerd thing, but, I still don't get leaving bitten apples outside of Job's house.
I guess the computer crowd has it's own strange tribal rituals and customs?

Yep, I can tell you are not a geek/nerd, which is ok.

If you don't have a smart phone, I recommend iPhone 4S or visit an Apple store to see a demo. It's the best smart phone you can buy.

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 11 2011, 11:20 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Maybe it's a geek/nerd thing, but, I still don't get leaving bitten apples outside of Job's house.

What is not to get? The company's identity was a bitten apple. It's a pretty straight-forward tribute.

A vast majority of Jobs fans aren't computer geeks. If that's all it was Apple's consumer electronics products wouldn't come close to making Apple the largest public company in the world behind Exxon.

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 11 2011, 11:54 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

What is not to get? The company's identity was a bitten apple. It's a pretty straight-forward tribute.

A vast majority of Jobs fans aren't computer geeks. If that's all it was Apple's consumer electronics products wouldn't come close to making Apple the largest public company in the world behind Exxon.

Apple's market cap passed Exxon Mobile today (371.10B vs. 370.83B), becoming the most valuable company on planet earth.

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 13 2011, 3:26 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

Thats nice...................but, I'm still not getting the bitten apple thing.
Maybe I didn't take enough calculus in high school?

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 13 2011, 3:27 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

So when one of the Rockefellers dies we should leave a quart of oil at their doorstep?
Maybe we can blame our dependence on oil on them too?

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 13 2011, 9:27 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

I'm guessing the "don't get it" poster is on the older side...

In any event, all that matters is how Steve's family interpreted it and they were genuinely touched by it. So whether you get it or not doesn't really matter -- the people it was for did.

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 14 2011, 9:36 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
So when one of the Rockefellers dies we should leave a quart of oil at their doorstep?
Maybe we can blame our dependence on oil on them too?

You keep using analogies that don't make sense. No one asked you or anyone to do anything for a dead person. Those who did something for a dead person is because they felt for that person.

Someone said Apple is a mix of a religion and a brand. It's ok if you don't get why the Apple fans did what they did, but please stop.

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 30 2011, 5:09 pm EDT    Post subject: A Sister’s Eulogy for Steve Jobs Reply with quote

A Sister’s Eulogy for Steve Jobs
By MONA SIMPSON
Published: October 30, 2011

I grew up as an only child, with a single mother. Because we were poor and because I knew my father had emigrated from Syria, I imagined he looked like Omar Sharif. I hoped he would be rich and kind and would come into our lives (and our not yet furnished apartment) and help us. Later, after I’d met my father, I tried to believe he’d changed his number and left no forwarding address because he was an idealistic revolutionary, plotting a new world for the Arab people.

Even as a feminist, my whole life I’d been waiting for a man to love, who could love me. For decades, I’d thought that man would be my father. When I was 25, I met that man and he was my brother.

By then, I lived in New York, where I was trying to write my first novel. I had a job at a small magazine in an office the size of a closet, with three other aspiring writers. When one day a lawyer called me — me, the middle-class girl from California who hassled the boss to buy us health insurance — and said his client was rich and famous and was my long-lost brother, the young editors went wild. This was 1985 and we worked at a cutting-edge literary magazine, but I’d fallen into the plot of a Dickens novel and really, we all loved those best. The lawyer refused to tell me my brother’s name and my colleagues started a betting pool. The leading candidate: John Travolta. I secretly hoped for a literary descendant of Henry James — someone more talented than I, someone brilliant without even trying.

When I met Steve, he was a guy my age in jeans, Arab- or Jewish-looking and handsomer than Omar Sharif.

We took a long walk — something, it happened, that we both liked to do. I don’t remember much of what we said that first day, only that he felt like someone I’d pick to be a friend. He explained that he worked in computers.

I didn’t know much about computers. I still worked on a manual Olivetti typewriter.

I told Steve I’d recently considered my first purchase of a computer: something called the Cromemco.

Steve told me it was a good thing I’d waited. He said he was making something that was going to be insanely beautiful.

I want to tell you a few things I learned from Steve, during three distinct periods, over the 27 years I knew him. They’re not periods of years, but of states of being. His full life. His illness. His dying.

Steve worked at what he loved. He worked really hard. Every day.

That’s incredibly simple, but true.

He was the opposite of absent-minded.

He was never embarrassed about working hard, even if the results were failures. If someone as smart as Steve wasn’t ashamed to admit trying, maybe I didn’t have to be.

When he got kicked out of Apple, things were painful. He told me about a dinner at which 500 Silicon Valley leaders met the then-sitting president. Steve hadn’t been invited.

He was hurt but he still went to work at Next. Every single day.

Novelty was not Steve’s highest value. Beauty was.

For an innovator, Steve was remarkably loyal. If he loved a shirt, he’d order 10 or 100 of them. In the Palo Alto house, there are probably enough black cotton turtlenecks for everyone in this church.

He didn’t favor trends or gimmicks. He liked people his own age.

His philosophy of aesthetics reminds me of a quote that went something like this: “Fashion is what seems beautiful now but looks ugly later; art can be ugly at first but it becomes beautiful later.”

Steve always aspired to make beautiful later.

He was willing to be misunderstood.

Uninvited to the ball, he drove the third or fourth iteration of his same black sports car to Next, where he and his team were quietly inventing the platform on which Tim Berners-Lee would write the program for the World Wide Web.

Steve was like a girl in the amount of time he spent talking about love. Love was his supreme virtue, his god of gods. He tracked and worried about the romantic lives of the people working with him.

Whenever he saw a man he thought a woman might find dashing, he called out, “Hey are you single? Do you wanna come to dinner with my sister?”

I remember when he phoned the day he met Laurene. “There’s this beautiful woman and she’s really smart and she has this dog and I’m going to marry her.”

When Reed was born, he began gushing and never stopped. He was a physical dad, with each of his children. He fretted over Lisa’s boyfriends and Erin’s travel and skirt lengths and Eve’s safety around the horses she adored.

None of us who attended Reed’s graduation party will ever forget the scene of Reed and Steve slow dancing.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/opinion/mona-simpsons-eulogy-for-steve-jobs.html?_r=3&pagewanted=all&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+businessinsider+%28Business+Insider%29

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 30 2011, 7:25 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

Really nice. Thanks for posting, I had missed this.

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 31 2011, 10:30 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Sad news! Reply with quote

Enough about Steve Jobs already.
You'd think he walked on water or something!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Tech Related (PC, Internet, HDTV, etc.) All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2