Save Our Library
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOL

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 8 2015, 10:06 am EDT    Post subject: Save Our Library Reply with quote

At a time when many public libraries struggle to find the finances necessary to keep their doors open, protect and renew their collections, hire great people and provide quality library services; Cranbury Public Library is excellent shape. In fact, thanks to sound management and foresight, our beloved CPL has a surplus of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Unfortunately, the current library leadership is determined to forgo the wisdom of the past and don the albatross of building construction and maintenance. The dream of a new building is already coming at the cost of library hours, programming and services; and it's just the beginning. There is still time to make the right decisions, end the distractions and keep the library solvent. It's time for the Cranbury Public Library to refocus on providing the quality library services our town deserves. Join the movement to SAVE OUR LIBRARY before our library is SOL!
anon-5651

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 8 2015, 12:24 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

I've posted before that I contributed and support an entirely privately built stand alone library.

That said, the point raised I think is a valid one. The reason I contributed is for one reason is the library (institution, not building) itself and all it offers as a family activity. But if hours and availability reduce, is it a benefit for me?

When the tax income was strong they opted to start funding for a stand alone building, which is fine. However, now that decision has led to program cuts, hour cuts, etc...as the tax base shrank.

I think I will raise privately with the board member I contributed to as to why this has occurred. I don't see the library board addressing the cuts over the capital. Our township uses surplus every year to offset the tax increase. Why can't the library use their surplus to keep Sunday hours, etc..? I don't want to see the building become more important than the institution.

I hadn't really thought of this until now for some reason.
anon-npo2

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 8 2015, 2:41 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

Taking money from savings and set aside for the new library, would be like the town taking money set aside for preserved farmland to run the town.
anon-5651

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 8 2015, 4:10 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

anon-npo2 wrote:
Taking money from savings and set aside for the new library, would be like the town taking money set aside for preserved farmland to run the town.

It's not a comparable arguement. The municipal surplus sits in a surplus account and is used to offset expenses. The Library has chosen to take a similar surplus and through their own decision set it aside for a library. This is at a lack of providing funding for services. There is no library building tax like a farmland preservation tax.

The library earns a set portion from our tax bill. The intent of that money is to RUN a library. When they received excess cash (expenses less than income) they then decided that the surplus should be used for a building. I get that and am fine provided it was not needed to maintain the services. But, the purpose of that tax is for the library to provide services. I am surprised no one is focusing on that core item (I wasn't). Yes, services are still provided, great ones. However, we're not where we were in terms of services prior to the new library being discussed with less hours.

So here are real questions, I will be asking privately.

- If their central reason for a new building is to provide more services, then doesn't that run counter to their cutting services now?

- Isn't it better to maintain services, dip into the surplus and demonstrate the value of the library and it's services? The less provided the less value.

- What happens if their budget projections are off and they find they are off by just 10K. If they went to the TC to get more money when they lost revenue (budget meeting notes) this year, then they certainly will if they have their own building.

This to me questions their budget process, because if they have a shared service with the school, are cutting hours, services and asking the TC for money, what will happen when they have their own building when their insurance increases, maintenance happens (which is now covered by the school), our propert taxes dip again (could happen if no warehouses develop), etc...

I have seen the projections that the costs should be similar and their statement that they can cover the costs, but it doesn't add up if they go to the TC this year asking for additional revenue.

Again, I support and donate, but I think the library at this point is all about a new building which is why I have gone from an ardent supporter to one who had donated and has some questions.
anon-npo2

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 8 2015, 4:43 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

It is a comparable argument because it is money set aside by law for a special reason. Yes, it was the library board that decided to resolve that these funds be set aside for this project.
What the library is currently doing is running on its allocated money in the year for the year which demonstrates that it can adjust to lean years by temporarily cutting expense to match budget.
The central reason for a new library is not there is not enough space to offer both public library services as well as school library services.
RE. budget projections. I understand the first estimate had "escalation" figured in. The new architect says that those figures are still accurate.
I heard that the current library appropriation was cut $40,000.00 from last year's which was already the lowest it has been in years. Apparently this was due several anomalies in figuring out the EVA. In other words, it is artificially low.
anon-npo2

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 8 2015, 8:10 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

The central reason for a new library is not there is not enough space to offer both public library services as well as school library services.
Correction:
The central reason for a new library is there is not enough space to offer both public library services as well as school library services.
anon-p254

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 9 2015, 12:04 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

anon-npo2 wrote:
Correction:
The central reason for a new library is there is not enough space to offer both public library services as well as school library services.

And what will happen when there is not enough money to pay for the needs of a new library? Will we continue to cut hours to save hourly wages to fund the increasing costs of full time employees? How will we pay for all of the great new library services and programming when we are making cuts under the current budget?

Save Our Library!
anon-p1o3

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 12 2015, 8:34 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

If they build a new library, I hope they're planning to have huge windows because it will be closed so often we will frequently need to admire our new book museum from the outside looking in.

SOL!
anon;40Q-04q3

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 12 2015, 9:15 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

Its about time we stop this foolishness and realize that this new Library is not in the best interest of the MAJORITY of the taxpayers of Cranbury. A few high profile Four Seasons advocates have jammed this down the throats of the rest of the taxpayers. Its time to put a stop to this foolish waste of taxpayers dollars that will go on in perpetuity. Just look at the tremendous cost for the "Field of Dreams" ball field endorsed by folks who have left Cranbury for greener pastures; they have left us with this dollar sucking albatross.
cm-0o99

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 13 2015, 7:22 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

Turn your wise opposition to action. Go to Township meeting and tell Mayor NO NEW LIBRARY BUILDING>
anon;Oq4z-n68r

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 13 2015, 8:02 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

Telling the mayor means nothing to this autonomous board.The committee has no power. The proponents endorsing this Library have the residents in a no win position. The advocates that are pushing this down our throats will be gone in a few years
[ mostly due to attrition] and we will be stuck with another money sucking pit. This is a disgraceful selfserving act of some selfserving individuals who really do not care what is best for the majority of the residents that will be left with their money sucking legacy in perpituity.
anon-461s

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 14 2015, 5:59 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

The Mayor or his representative are part of the library board. The library board is made up of town residents. How can this be some rogue entity?
21st century fox-1osr

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 14 2015, 7:23 am EDT    Post subject: Re: use the library we have Reply with quote

It's amazing how these big government zealots are so quick to jam another money sucking public sector project down the throats of the taxpayer. It's no wonder why any normal person runs for the hills the minute they can escape this bureaucratic nightmare.

Nobody but kids after school and camp and a few seniors use the current library. If there was not a sign saying Cranbury Public Library, one might think they walked into a morgue.

If the people who want this had to pay out of their own pockets, it would be an entirely different story, they would run so fast before they gave a dime of their money. They want to build their empire, preserve their jobs, and, turn Cranbury into Monroe on your dime.

Shame on these parasites.
anon-po72

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 14 2015, 9:47 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

Sorry. I am not buying the big government zealots. Be part of the process. If you don't like how your library is run, go to the library board meetings. Second Tuesday of every month. It is a public meeting. Have heard that nobody from this forum who has voiced such strong opinions have spoken to the board. How will change happen if you don't participate?
21st century fox-1o5r

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 14 2015, 11:44 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

Nobody is saying the library is being poorly run. To the contrary it is adequately serving the needs of the community. The point these taxpayers are making is that we don't need a new library, a few people want a new library.
anon-5038

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 14 2015, 12:25 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Save Our Library Reply with quote

Master plan has a library. Feasibility studies and space studies have been done. School and library have been looking at this for years. It is not a spur of the moment decision. How can one say that only a few are in favor of this when there are 400 contributing families to the capital campaign?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12