Cranbury Schools and Shadow Oaks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicole-7pqn

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 14 2016, 9:10 am EDT    Post subject: Cranbury Schools and Shadow Oaks Reply with quote

Hello,

We are considering relocating to Cranbury from NY. We are undecided on whether we will send our children (ages 4 and 7) to Cranbury Elementary or St. Paul's in Princeton. Can someone share information or experiences with St. Paul's School in Princeton? Do many Cranbury residents send their children to St. Paul's?

Also, how is the Shadow Oaks area? Are there many children in that section and who play outside?

Thank you
anon-88r5

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 14 2016, 10:10 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Cranbury Schools and Shadow Oaks Reply with quote

Hi Nicole,

First, congrats on the move. Cranbury School is a Blue Ribbon school of which there are very few in the U.S. and this is a highly sought designation. The PTO is active and the teachers in my experience are very good at keeping parents informed. My child had a reading issue and the school worked hard with her. She's now a prolific reader.

The friends I have whose children go to St. Pauls are in other districts where the school quality is not as good as Cranbury. They like St. Pauls and find it fine, though one family is working on moving to Cranbury as they believe Cranbury is a better school in their view. I don't know any Cranbury parents who send their kids to St. Pauls.

Shadow Oaks is a great neighborhood as well. There are a lot of kids, but just like everywhere the video game generation has taken over so it's not like when we were kids and everyone was outside.
anon-400n

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 14 2016, 12:03 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Cranbury Schools and Shadow Oaks Reply with quote

No need for St. Paul's over Cranbury school IMO. One of the main draws for Cranbury is the school.

Biased towards Shadow Oaks - most if not all lots are 1 acre. Plenty of other nice areas (Main Street, Wynnewood Drive area, Liedtke ($) Drive....)
anon-6696

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 14 2016, 7:56 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Cranbury Schools and Shadow Oaks Reply with quote

Very few Cranbury resident send their kids to private schools, even if they can afford them. High school is another matter. Princeton High School is great, but you do see a percentage of the Cranbury grads every year who siphon off to the various elite private high schools in the area (or a few beyond the area). Many families move to Cranbury specifically for the school.

Shadow Oaks is an awesome neighborhood. Many positives. But to your specific question about a lot of kids playing outside, that's iffy. It certainly happens and for sure the kids get to know each other and proactively go to each other's houses and yards. But at any given moment were you to drive around the neighborhood, would you see a lot of kids outside playing, no. I don't think that should be a show stopper.
anon-011q

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 14 2016, 9:13 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Cranbury Schools and Shadow Oaks Reply with quote

Many homes in Shadow Oaks have pool in the backyard; kids playing in the pool is more common during summer. Smile
anon-s6p5

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 14 2016, 9:35 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Cranbury Schools and Shadow Oaks Reply with quote

Shadow Oaks is a great neighborhood that we enjoy. There are kids, but kids tend to play inside. The good news is that it is now connected to town so as your kids get older they can ride to town.

The yards are a good size most an acre plus so it's great.

I don't know any private school children. All the kids we know are in Cranbury.

At age 7 I imagine your child is going into second grade. The teachers are great and they involve parents.

The only issue with shadow oaks is they are not on sewer so you have to be careful with your septic. Other than that I believe you'll love the town.

I'll save the fire chief a post--the fire company is always looking for volunteers.
anon-236p

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 16 2016, 9:15 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Cranbury Schools and Shadow Oaks Reply with quote

I'll save the fire chief a post--the fire company is always looking for volunteers.[/quote]

Thank you!! This is true, the Fire Dept. is always looking for Volunteers! Nicole, I believe I met you and your husband a few weeks back in the Fire Department parking lot. Everything that has been said regarding the Cranbury school is spot on. Please feel free to stop down at the firehouse if you are back in town soon. We are always there on Monday nights at 7pm and have quite a few members who have sent or currently have children in the Cranbury school. We would be more than willing to answer any questions or concerns you may have. Good luck with your house hunt! Hope to see you and your family soon!!!
anon-ssp6

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 20 2016, 9:37 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Cranbury Schools and Shadow Oaks Reply with quote

We moved to Shadow Oaks several years ago and have been very happy with the area and the people.

We have two children (ages 4 & 1) and are outside almost every day in the yard playing. There are quite a few other families in the neighborhood with children outside playing as well. Everyone has been very friendly and we often meet weekly for playdates and get togethers.

We have no experience with the Cranbury K-8 school yet but have heard wonderful things and it is one of the main reasons why we moved here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> School | Parenting All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1