Candidates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon-88r5

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 12 2017, 9:32 pm EDT    Post subject: Candidates Reply with quote

I want to thank Nancy Witt and Matt Scott for running. This is the first time in years where I think we individuals that represent different ideas in certain ways while still being solid candidates.

The Cranbury Press did an excellent write up.

While I don't agree with some of either candidates positions, I will say that I find their answers refreshing. They offer a true choice this year.

Matt Scott for example stated he was pro-library and funding via bond. If you're pro-library he has a solid position for you.

He also stated he wants to state his opinion on progressive issues, but keep the flavor of the town. He stated he is not a member of indivisible, Scott, a self-described “progressive Democrat,” said he was not a part of the group but that he agreed “generally” with what the organization says.

“With that said, if elected, I do not plan on implementing all the things they want to do nationally."

My only question is what parts he does want to bring to town. So far our town has avoided any national politics locally.

Mrs. Witt has a business background. Her position on the library was unclear in the paper so I am not sure where she stands on bonding.

She was asked about her business being a conflict of interest and she stated she does no township work. She also stated the spots she leases the town are not a conflict (I agree as this was a long term lease to help the town avoid paying for parking).

She has a business background which is of value on the TC. But, as we have also seen with Mr. Taylor being ignored at budget time. The TC does not always follow this experience. But, maybe Mrs. Witt will help change that.

They both cited traffic safety, but I am not sure what can be done without increasing police. Main St is a county road so all the comments about traffic calming measures or such can't be done without county approval. So it's a nice to say, but no real means to implement.

Again, I want to thank them for running. I wish the Press had done more on Mrs. Witt as I had a hard time pulling her positions. So the above was because I did not attend and only had information from the Paper.

So unlike most years where we have friends running together i.e. Mr. Cook and Taylor or Mr. Johnson and Mr. Mulligan (even if different parties) and positions are hard to separate, this year we have a choice of view it seems.
anon-4702

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 13 2017, 11:47 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Reply with quote

Matt Scott is the choice for cranbury he will pay for the library we need he will build more affordable affordable housing than we need to build he will make our town a sanctuary city he will raise the minimum wage in cranbury to $15 an hour he will along with his group indivisible cranbury work to stop trump please vote for matt scott and make cranbury the progessive liberal town it deserves to be
anon-1s72

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 13 2017, 2:28 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Reply with quote

anon-4702 wrote:
Matt Scott is the choice for cranbury he will pay for the library we need he will build more affordable affordable housing than we need to build he will make our town a sanctuary city he will raise the minimum wage in cranbury to $15 an hour he will along with his group indivisible cranbury work to stop trump please vote for matt scott and make cranbury the progessive liberal town it deserves to be

Can we try to not bash people who are running? People are allowed a national view. That does not mean a national view is a local view.
anon-413n

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 13 2017, 3:42 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Reply with quote

anon-1s72 wrote:
anon-4702 wrote:

Can we try to not bash people who are running? People are allowed a national view. That does not mean a national view is a local view.

Much of this seems to be a reasonable assessment on how Matt Scott's extremist views could impact Cranbury directly. Taxpayer funded library (with a supporting tax increase) and sanctuary city (with impact to our children by making Cranbury a haven for illegals) is under direct control of the committee. I am not sure if a town can raise the minimum wage.
anon-s6p5

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 13 2017, 5:24 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Reply with quote

Matt Scott stated he opposed making Cranbury a sanctuary city.
anon-4os8

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 13 2017, 5:27 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Reply with quote

anon-413n wrote:
anon-1s72 wrote:
anon-4702 wrote:

Much of this seems to be a reasonable assessment on how Matt Scott's extremist views could impact Cranbury directly. Taxpayer funded library (with a supporting tax increase) and sanctuary city (with impact to our children by making Cranbury a haven for illegals) is under direct control of the committee. I am not sure if a town can raise the minimum wage.

He directly stated on the record that he did not support making Cranbury a sanctuary city and both candidates said they supported funding the library, so neither differs on any of these issues.

What "extremist" views, LOL?
anon-4sqo

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 13 2017, 5:38 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Reply with quote

anon-4702 wrote:

Our town racist @ work again. I assume this is the same troll that asked the opening question @ candidate night.
Troll?-rr1s

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 13 2017, 7:25 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Reply with quote

Don't see the indivisible question as trolling at all. The candidate responded that he was not after some back and forth.
Guest 130-n6o0

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 13 2017, 8:16 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I could not attend candidates' night. I only know what the Cranbury Press reported, and that is not always all inclusive. Therefore, I will only make a couple of comments. I do not doubt that both candidates have only the best intentions to preserve Cranbury's historical values and promote fair business development. My only other concern is their position on funding a library. As witnessed by the lack of public funding support (and the number of actual donations), the quiet majority will need to speak up if the future TC has any inclination to exceed the current $475k already committed.
anon-4195

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 13 2017, 9:07 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Reply with quote

Troll?-rr1s wrote:
Don't see the indivisible question as trolling at all. The candidate responded that he was not after some back and forth.

Just the distorting of facts make one think he is a troll.
Indivisible-pp98

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 14 2017, 10:37 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Reply with quote

Matt Scott, a self-described “progressive Democrat,” said he was not a part of the group (indivisible) but that he agreed “generally” with what the organization says.

As masked leftists use clubs to shut down free speech at Berkeley and elsewhere, Democrats have unfortunately been reticent to condemn the activity. But Antifa violence is not the only kind of condemnable disruptive activity. Democrats should also disavow the organized campaign to harass Republican congressmen and stop Republican town halls.

One group in the thick of this battle is “Indivisible.” The group was founded by a former staffer for Democratic Rep. Lloyd Doggett, and its COO, Matt Traidi, is the research coordinator for the Service Employees International Union. Indivisible provides these instructions on how to prevent other town hall attendees from asking questions: “Don’t give up the mic until you’re satisfied with the answer. If you’ve asked a hostile question … keep a firm hold on the mic. No staffer in their right mind wants to look like they’re physically intimidating a constituent, so they will back off.”

Not content to interfere with town halls, Indivisible has also gone to the homes of Republican congressmen. They have targeted swing districts such as those of Rep. John Faso (R-N.Y.) and Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif). About 200 protesters showed up at Issa's home to harass him for not holding town hall meetings.
But Indivisible isn’t the only organization causing problems. TakeActionMN showed up at Rep. Jason Lewis’ (R-Minn.) house during the August recess. “It’s gotten so bad that unruly protestors recently invaded my family’s home and personal property, frightening neighbors who then called the local police," Lewis told me. "The group [that] organized the trespass has not only refused to apologize, but hasn't ruled out doing it again.”

Indivisible plans to disrupt town halls and then go to Republican congressmen’s homes and offices to protest the lack of town halls. “This is a well-oiled, very much activist plan to disrupt the democratic process,” Lewis said. “I have a responsibility to serve the 2nd district to the best of my ability. I don't have a responsibility to host — at taxpayer expense — a Democrat campaign rally just because hyper-partisan opponents call it a "town hall."

And one can easily see the impact. While 92 percent of Democrats in the House have had Town Halls this year, only 54 percent of Republicans have. While Democrats have held more Town Halls this year than last year, the number for Republicans fell by 54 percent. Many Republicans who held August events faced disruptions from Indivisible, even those in safe districts in such states as North Carolina, Utah, and West Virginia.

It’s understandable that Democrats don’t want to criticize the tactics of Indivisible or the Service Employees International Union. Over two years from 2015 to 2016, the Service Employees International Union’s PAC spent over $55 million helping candidates, and 100 percent of their contributions to federal candidates went to Democrats.

The threats to congressmen’s offices have become of sufficient concern that the Capitol police have reissued guidelines for all members of Congress. Indivisible disrupts California Congressman Ed Royce’s office once a week.

While some in the media have tried unsuccessfully to get Democratic politicians to disavow Antifa, questions about Indivisible and the Service Employees International Union seem to be off-limits. The tea party never did anything like this. Do Democrats want Republicans showing up at their homes and harassing their families the next time they control the government?

Indivisible and the Service Employees International Union don't engage in activity comparable to Antifa’s violence. But congressmen didn’t sign up for this kind of mistreatment, especially for their families. And free speech at town halls doesn’t mean yelling so loudly and for so long that no one else can talk.

One would hope that the shooting of Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.) and near mass-murder of Republican congressmen in Virginia would have served as a wake-up call. One would hope that cooler heads would finally prevail and that there could be some bipartisan agreement about what behavior crosses the line. But a Democratic Missouri legislator recently wrote, "I hope Trump is assassinated." Keith Ellison, deputy chair of the Democratic National Committee, claimed in a fundraising letter that senior White House officials are either members of a Nazi organization or white nationalists.

The antics have become so disconcerting that even some old guard liberal lions, such as former Rep. Dennis Kucinich, are warning fellow Democrats that voters “want American politicians to be constructive, not destructive.”

They should listen to Mr. Kucinich
anon-s6p5

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 14 2017, 12:39 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Reply with quote

So because there are extreme elements Matt is an extremist?

What bout the tea party member who shot Gabby Giffords? With my group there are normal people and extremists. Not all tea party people are bad and not all indivisible people are bad.
anon-4195

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 14 2017, 1:43 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Reply with quote

Indivisible-pp98 wrote:
Matt Scott, a self-described “progressive Democrat,” said he was not a part of the group (indivisible) but that he agreed “generally” with what the organization says.

As masked leftists use clubs to shut down free speech at Berkeley and elsewhere, Democrats have unfortunately been reticent to condemn the activity. But Antifa violence is not the only kind of condemnable disruptive activity. Democrats should also disavow the organized campaign to harass Republican congressmen and stop Republican town halls.

One group in the thick of this battle is “Indivisible.” The group was founded by a former staffer for Democratic Rep. Lloyd Doggett, and its COO, Matt Traidi, is the research coordinator for the Service Employees International Union. Indivisible provides these instructions on how to prevent other town hall attendees from asking questions: “Don’t give up the mic until you’re satisfied with the answer. If you’ve asked a hostile question … keep a firm hold on the mic. No staffer in their right mind wants to look like they’re physically intimidating a constituent, so they will back off.”

Not content to interfere with town halls, Indivisible has also gone to the homes of Republican congressmen. They have targeted swing districts such as those of Rep. John Faso (R-N.Y.) and Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif). About 200 protesters showed up at Issa's home to harass him for not holding town hall meetings.
But Indivisible isn’t the only organization causing problems. TakeActionMN showed up at Rep. Jason Lewis’ (R-Minn.) house during the August recess. “It’s gotten so bad that unruly protestors recently invaded my family’s home and personal property, frightening neighbors who then called the local police," Lewis told me. "The group [that] organized the trespass has not only refused to apologize, but hasn't ruled out doing it again.”

Indivisible plans to disrupt town halls and then go to Republican congressmen’s homes and offices to protest the lack of town halls. “This is a well-oiled, very much activist plan to disrupt the democratic process,” Lewis said. “I have a responsibility to serve the 2nd district to the best of my ability. I don't have a responsibility to host — at taxpayer expense — a Democrat campaign rally just because hyper-partisan opponents call it a "town hall."

And one can easily see the impact. While 92 percent of Democrats in the House have had Town Halls this year, only 54 percent of Republicans have. While Democrats have held more Town Halls this year than last year, the number for Republicans fell by 54 percent. Many Republicans who held August events faced disruptions from Indivisible, even those in safe districts in such states as North Carolina, Utah, and West Virginia.

It’s understandable that Democrats don’t want to criticize the tactics of Indivisible or the Service Employees International Union. Over two years from 2015 to 2016, the Service Employees International Union’s PAC spent over $55 million helping candidates, and 100 percent of their contributions to federal candidates went to Democrats.

The threats to congressmen’s offices have become of sufficient concern that the Capitol police have reissued guidelines for all members of Congress. Indivisible disrupts California Congressman Ed Royce’s office once a week.

While some in the media have tried unsuccessfully to get Democratic politicians to disavow Antifa, questions about Indivisible and the Service Employees International Union seem to be off-limits. The tea party never did anything like this. Do Democrats want Republicans showing up at their homes and harassing their families the next time they control the government?

Indivisible and the Service Employees International Union don't engage in activity comparable to Antifa’s violence. But congressmen didn’t sign up for this kind of mistreatment, especially for their families. And free speech at town halls doesn’t mean yelling so loudly and for so long that no one else can talk.

One would hope that the shooting of Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.) and near mass-murder of Republican congressmen in Virginia would have served as a wake-up call. One would hope that cooler heads would finally prevail and that there could be some bipartisan agreement about what behavior crosses the line. But a Democratic Missouri legislator recently wrote, "I hope Trump is assassinated." Keith Ellison, deputy chair of the Democratic National Committee, claimed in a fundraising letter that senior White House officials are either members of a Nazi organization or white nationalists.

The antics have become so disconcerting that even some old guard liberal lions, such as former Rep. Dennis Kucinich, are warning fellow Democrats that voters “want American politicians to be constructive, not destructive.”

I started to listen more carefully to Bob Corker and John McCain recently and resisting 45 seems like a good idea these days.
anon-4sqo

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 14 2017, 2:59 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Reply with quote

[quote="anon-4195"]
Indivisible-pp98 wrote:

One would hope that the [b]shooting
of Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.) and near mass-murder of Republican congressmen in Virginia would have served as a wake-up call.

Remind us when is a good time to talk about common sense gun legislation?

Or is this organization all wrong about what they want? Too radical?

https://momsdemandaction.org
anon-4195

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 14 2017, 10:10 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Reply with quote

Indivisible-pp98 wrote:

This piece was an opinion piece written by John Lott and published on thehill.com 9/18/17

http://thehill.com/opinion/criminal-justice/351136-democrats-must-denounce-the-rise-in-violence-against-republicans

just want to make sure everyone knows the original poster of this is good in copying and pasting....
anon-4195

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 14 2017, 10:16 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Reply with quote

since Indivisible-pp98 likes to read the Hill. Here is a story that is no doubt the result of the extreme right-wing tea party movement.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/355465-bannon-promises-season-of-war-on-gop-establishment
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7