Election season
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon-7666

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 26 2018, 7:45 am EDT    Post subject: Election season Reply with quote

Hi all,

The election season is upon us and admittedly in a small town like Cranbury it is easy to ignore any real issues.

I don’t want a tit for tat thread, but thought it would be helpful if we all really considered the issues that the TC can address and see what concerns there might be. Candidate’s night is coming up in another month so maybe this will help.

Taxes- I think taxes are key with the government not allowing us to deduct property taxes beyond 10k. To date, Mr. Ferrante has discussed bike paths that would increase spending. But nothing else. Mr. Taylor and Mr. Wittman haven’t stated spending goals. So we have to go by record for Mr Taylor which seems no large spending. No idea for Mr Wittman. Matt Scott stated at a meeting we don’t pay enough and need to pay more which to me means large nice to have projects will be raised next year. I think a statement here from all is necessary.

Consolidation- How aggressive will they be in protecting the town and school? We see Matt following all of the Givernors stances such as marijuana shops on Main St. What will the three candidates do?

CRC- Is this issue dead? I haven’t heard anything from the supporters since the TC voted no.

Sanctuary city- I am hearing a lot about this. What is the candidates position?

Preservation- Is there any more farmland to preserve? What is the goal.

TC Representation- Matt scott when Mike was appointed said he was glad to have another progressive voice, Mr. Ferrante has also spoken at Indivisible gatherings and voted for the CRC and when voted down raised a human relation commission with the same agenda. He has shown to be a strong progressive voice. Mr. Wittman ran for Assembly as a Republican meaning he must be fairly conservative to get that nod. Mr. Taylor has written and spoken how political party influence has no part in Cranbury politics. What extent will the views each holds impact the town’s budget, goals and future?

Traffic- Main St, Old Trenton, Cranbury Neck, Plainsboro Road are all county roads. What does the TC really expect can be done? What is the balance between money and safety improvements?

Library- what if the state declines to grant us funds? What will each candidate do? Will they come forward to close the gap?
anon-0q3q

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 29 2018, 5:43 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Election season Reply with quote

Murphy isn’t much different than Corzine. The TC is either going to work to protect Cranbury from the state, or side with the state which means big changes for Cranbury. The state of NJ would like small towns to merge into big towns, replace volunteers with paid personnel, make everyplace a sanctuary city and consolidate school districts and police departments at the county level.

If you want the TC to protect us from the state, you should vote for Jay and probably Wayne.

If you want Cranbury to adopt the direction of the state, you should probably vote for Mike and whomever the other indivisible write-in candidate will be.
anon-7666

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 29 2018, 6:21 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Election season Reply with quote

Here is one way to look at things. I want the person who has the most to lose and is most vested when it comes to defending the town and my tax dollars, one who won’t take the easy path and sacrifice the town. Of the three running I know Jay is the only one who is not going anywhere and is not afraid to push back against Reps or Dems(see his votes against tax increases).

I am not sure Wayne who has a long history here and family connections, but is retired so could move or Mike whose kids are nearing the time when people start to question staying is more vested. We have seen many TC members leave town when their kids enter or leave HS. Just look at the TC from 10 years ago not one remains in town. Wayne and Mike one could argue each has some element that makes moving easier.

Jay grew up here, his parents live here and his sister and her family live here. If he starts spending money recklessly, doesn’t fight the state on school consolidation and town consolidation then his personal life will be miserable. Bad enough to come home to an angry spouse, but he’d have angry spouse, angry kids, angry parents, angry sister and brother in law. Seems he has a lot to lose and a lot of unhappy family gatherings if he didn’t fight for the town. Plus, I am sure those people would get an earful from their friends in town making it even worse for him.
anon-2r86

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 30 2018, 7:21 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Election season Reply with quote

Consolidation might be the way to go to rescue us from growing property taxes and decreased services due to budgets.
anon-86so

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 30 2018, 7:28 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Election season Reply with quote

Traffic safety?

Spending? How much did the tennis courts cost? Seemed like a major expensive, who approved?
anon-7666

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 30 2018, 9:01 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Election season Reply with quote

anon-2r86 wrote:
Consolidation might be the way to go to rescue us from growing property taxes and decreased services due to budgets.

Are you serious? Do you see what is happening in Monroe and S Brunswick? Schools are declining, taxes are shooting up. Cranbury has a blue ribbon school and the lowest township tax in the county. Consolidation will increase our taxes and offfer lower services.
anon-7666

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 30 2018, 9:05 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Election season Reply with quote

anon-86so wrote:
Traffic safety?

Spending? How much did the tennis courts cost? Seemed like a major expensive, who approved?

The tennis courts are school owned. The replacement of them came from the school budget as a capital improvement authorized by the BOE. The TC was not involved.
anon-7666

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 30 2018, 9:24 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Election season Reply with quote

Sorry. Just to be clear I do believe spending is key. I have only seen one brochure as Wayne handed one to me.

He wants three festivals put on by the town, to hire a grant writer, but also to review staffing and employment practices and review the budget (nothing shown as what he would cut).

Mr. Ferrante has advocated at meetings building bike paths and spending on the CRC, but not shown means to cut the budget or look at means to cut.

I think spending is key and the residents should know what spending plans the candidates have. Neither Wayne or Mike have been involved in a budget process recently. Is it investment so will save money or impact the town in a necessary way? Or is it items that will increase the town costs and be focused on wants. Right now it seems both Mike and Wayne are focused on wants. I could be wrong, but it seems that way from their proposals.
anon-s316

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 30 2018, 1:02 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Election season Reply with quote

I heard Wayne will bring out taxes down by more than half. Where can I see this plan? Dan Mulligan said him and Wayne would work on that. What services will be cut? Will there be township staff layoffs? I heard some committees will merge to save lawyer costs.

Do the candidates have websites that inform the public?

...and how much was that Tennis Court re-do?
anon-8706

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 30 2018, 1:29 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Election season Reply with quote

Considering the debt payments and state mandates cutting taxes by half is not possible. I haven’t heard that point raised.

I think looking at board consolidation is a good thing. For example, with the town almost fully built out why not look at a land use board? Saves professional fees and legal fees? It may work or not, but with looking at.

Tennis court costs would be harder to find as the BOE doesn’t publish their bids. Maybe they are in the BOE meeting minutes approving the work.
anon-88r5

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 30 2018, 2:21 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Election season Reply with quote

From the BOE meeting agenda in June:

https://www.cranburyschool.org/pdf/board_agenda//Agenda%2017-18/6-13-18%20Agenda.pdf

Tennis courts were awarded at a cost of $338,611. Again School budget not municipal so not relevant to the TC candidates and the BOE election is uncontested.
anon-86so

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 30 2018, 2:38 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Election season Reply with quote

anon-88r5 wrote:
From the BOE meeting agenda in June:

https://www.cranburyschool.org/pdf/board_agenda//Agenda%2017-18/6-13-18%20Agenda.pdf

Tennis courts were awarded at a cost of $338,611. Again School budget not municipal so not relevant to the TC candidates and the BOE election is uncontested.

Still taxpayer money. And with the new development on South main Street I'm sure enrollment and costs will go up soon. TC candidates should consider that when they talk about keeping taxes down.
anon-0q4p

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 30 2018, 3:18 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Election season Reply with quote

I don’t disagree with the above. That is why I am voting for Mr. Taylor. He’s watched the numbers like a hawk and pushed back against his own party and even the sole Republican who voted for the tax increases in Mr Mulligan. However, the tennis court and school budget aren’t impacted by the TC.

But To your point it also why we need to see what Wayne and Mike present. We have no recent budget experience with them and to date they are about spending more.
anon-86so

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 30 2018, 3:54 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Election season Reply with quote

anon-0q4p wrote:
I don’t disagree with the above. That is why I am voting for Mr. Taylor. He’s watched the numbers like a hawk and pushed back against his own party and even the sole Republican who voted for the tax increases in Mr Mulligan. However, the tennis court and school budget aren’t impacted by the TC.

But To your point it also why we need to see what Wayne and Mike present. We have no recent budget experience with them and to date they are about spending more.

Do the three candidates have websites where we can see their positions?
anon-7666

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 30 2018, 6:07 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Election season Reply with quote

Note sure. Mr Wittman is on Facebook, Mr Ferrante is on Facebook and you can see his Tc votes since Spring on-line, Mr Taylor isn’t, but you can see his positions in the TC meeting notes from the past several years.

I think voting record for Mr Ferrante and Mr Taylor is more important than a campaign piece. It’s easy to say a position, but you can’t hide a vote.
anon-86so

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 30 2018, 6:14 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Election season Reply with quote

Campaign piece is important to use as a basis for formulating questions for candidate night.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3