Congrats Jan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cranbury Public Libr-p0o2

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 15 2018, 12:19 pm EST    Post subject: Congrats Jan Reply with quote

Stop in the library on Friday, November 30, 2018 from 1:30 - 4:30 p.m. to wish Jan Murphy a happy retirement!

Reminisce with Jan while you enjoy cookies and punch.
Tim-015n

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 27 2018, 3:53 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Congrats Jan Reply with quote

Please let the new children's librarian be energetic and enthusiastic.

Afterschool the library is a wild place FILLED with disruptive youngsters. 2 librarians each day miss the opportunity to engage actual young people and ensure others can use the library calmly.

Had hoped the new guy would be something but he's learned fast the least effort is fine.
anon-2469

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:27 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Congrats Jan Reply with quote

What are doing going to the library (which is attached to the school) looking for quiet at the time that school lets out?

The library should be for kids especially immediately after school. No one cares if the children are bothering an adult in the library. Take your books home to read quietly or, if you must spend your time in the library, do it while the kids are in school.

Let’s reprimand the kids in the library attached to the school so some crabby adult can have peace a quiet to do their reading!!! Unreal.
libraries uniteD-0292

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 30 2018, 1:17 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Congrats Jan Reply with quote

Jan is the tail that wags the dog at the library, had the Director well trained. The other ladies would fall over themselves to do do things for her. I worked alongside her for years and learned so much. Big city librarian comes to small town and congeals at her desk. Jan is masterful at indirect resistance to the demands of others. And she is really funny. Jan had the softest and most pleasant demeanor with patrons and then wicked wit to me. Good times! Jan showed me how to keep my personal life out of the office. Warned me when the Board cut my hours instead of hers. Jan is a very smooth operator and I was lucky to work with her when I did. Congratulations Jan! The end of an era in Cranbury.
anon-4920

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 2 2018, 10:16 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Congrats Jan Reply with quote

anon-2469 wrote:
The library should be for kids especially immediately after school.

It's a joint public/school library. It's a shared space. No one group should monopolize who the library caters to.

anon-2469 wrote:
No one cares if the children are bothering an adult in the library. Take your books home to read quietly or, if you must spend your time in the library, do it while the kids are in school.

Are you kidding? It's a library, not a daycare. Go to literally any other library and they'd have the same rules. It's a place to find books, read and relax. Not a play place for your kid to romp around after school so you can avoid paying for after school care/a sitter. Get real and take responsibility for your child's crap behavior.

anon-2469 wrote:
Let’s reprimand the kids in the library attached to the school so some crabby adult can have peace a quiet to do their reading!!! Unreal.

Is this real? Am I actually reading this? Oh no, did someone yell at your sweet little angel for being a brat? Get it through your thick skull: it's a library. Not after school care. Thinking kids can just have their way with a public, shared space!!! Unreal.
anon-q2r7

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 3 2018, 5:11 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Congrats Jan Reply with quote

That is why I go to the library in Plainsboro. If they get a new library I will continue to go to Plainsboro since all the kids will just run across the parking lot and be a nuisance. Furthermore it is up to the librarians to tell the children to be quiet.
anon-5962

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 3 2018, 7:25 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Congrats Jan Reply with quote

anon-q2r7 wrote:
it is up to the librarians to tell the children to be quiet.

It’s also up to the full time children’s librarian to develop children’s programs. Most children’s librarians proactively seek to bring children to the library, as opposed to complaining about it. Imagine if Cranbury’s full time children’s librarian spent 4 hours per school day (less than 1/2 her time) planning, preparing for and conducting children’s programming for the hours of 3:30- 5:30. What an amazing enrichment opportunity for our kids and an incredible community resource that would be!

I sincerely hope our next children’s librarian is substantially more engaged in her (or his) responsibilities.
anon-2rq8

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 3 2018, 8:22 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Congrats Jan Reply with quote

anon-q2r7 wrote:
That is why I go to the library in Plainsboro. If they get a new library I will continue to go to Plainsboro since all the kids will just run across the parking lot and be a nuisance. Furthermore it is up to the librarians to tell the children to be quiet.

Why not move to Plainsboro?
Tim-0146

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 11 2019, 11:50 am EST    Post subject: Re: Congrats Jan Reply with quote

anon-2469 wrote:
What are doing going to the library (which is attached to the school) looking for quiet at the time that school lets out?

It is not unreasonable to expect a quiet library. Even school age children like a quiet library to read and do homework.

Understandably there is much hustle and bustle with school dismissal. What is bothersome are the groups of children that use the interior library as an exterior play area. Phyiscal gymnastics, playing catch, shouting, running.

Librarians will tell you, yes we need a new library for a separate children's library room. A reasonable peson will respond "isn't that what a playground is for? Should that be the proper use of a new library? A separate romper room for unruly children?"
anon-000o

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 16 2019, 11:56 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Congrats Jan Reply with quote

Tim-0146 wrote:
anon-2469 wrote:

It is not unreasonable to expect a quiet library. Even school age children like a quiet library to read and do homework.

Understandably there is much hustle and bustle with school dismissal. What is bothersome are the groups of children that use the interior library as an exterior play area. Phyiscal gymnastics, playing catch, shouting, running.

Librarians will tell you, yes we need a new library for a separate children's library room. A reasonable peson will respond "isn't that what a playground is for? Should that be the proper use of a new library? A separate romper room for unruly children?"

Just a guess, but both of the above comments were posted by the same person.

I thought the Gambino room was supposed to be a quiet reading room?

Children should not be using the library as romper room, but certainly the librarians could find a more productive way to engage the kids rather than giving them a hard time and wishing they weren’t there.

Jan was a master of getting away with doing as little as possible. She actually retired years ago (unofficially). Let’s hope the next Children’s librarian does better.

Or better yet... maybe, just maybe, Cranbury will figure out that we don’t need 3 full time librarians. The truth is they could have built a new library by now if they had done a better job managing their payroll.

I suppose it won’t matter when Mike and Matt force the town to pay for their pet project. Sadly, by the time the new library is built, most of the people who wanted it will have moved out or passed on and the rest of us will be stuck here paying the bills.
money back-499p

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 18 2019, 9:19 am EST    Post subject: Re: Congrats Jan Reply with quote

Is there some way that people who contributed but no longer support the new library can get their donation back? Perhaps many donors did not realize how long it would take to get it built.
anon-s316

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 18 2019, 11:26 am EST    Post subject: Re: Congrats Jan Reply with quote

money back-499p wrote:
Is there some way that people who contributed but no longer support the new library can get their donation back? Perhaps many donors did not realize how long it would take to get it built.

Why would it matter how long it takes as long as the project is not cancelled?
anon-5p0n

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 18 2019, 1:26 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Congrats Jan Reply with quote

anon-000o wrote:

I suppose it won’t matter when Mike and Matt force the town to pay for their pet project. Sadly, by the time the new library is built, most of the people who wanted it will have moved out or passed on and the rest of us will be stuck here paying the bills.

... like the Babe Ruth Ballfield to nowhere. Every single TC member who pushed that through so the Mayor's kids could use it left town within a couple years.

Matt and Mike couldn't vote funding for the library construction without at least one other TC member if they used operating funds (directly covered by annual taxes or our surplus. And it would require a super majority of 4 of 5 members if they wanted to use bond money.
anon-s316

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 19 2019, 12:14 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Congrats Jan Reply with quote

[quote="Clapping_Ass]
Clapping_Ass wrote:

... like the Babe Ruth Ballfield to nowhere. Every single TC member who pushed that through so the Mayor's kids could use it left town within a couple years.

Matt and Mike couldn't vote funding for the library construction without at least one other TC member if they used operating funds (directly covered by annual taxes or our surplus. And it would require a super majority of 4 of 5 members if they wanted to use bond money.[/quote]
anon-7666

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 19 2019, 12:56 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Congrats Jan Reply with quote

Mike can’t vote for funding anyway as he was the foundation president. So he is conflicted.
anon-81os

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 23 2019, 12:43 am EST    Post subject: Re: Congrats Jan Reply with quote

anon-s316 wrote:
money back-499p wrote:

Why would it matter how long it takes as long as the project is not cancelled?

They said it was a 5 year plan 10 years ago.

If your kid was in pre-school when this began, they’re probably in high school now. If they were in high school, you’ve probably moved out of town by now. If this sounds like an exaggeration, just think of how many of the TC moved on since this began.

If the state comes through with the remaining money, it will be two more years until the library opens. If they don’t, the library should just give everyone their money back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2