TOMORROW NIGHT - DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES DEBATE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susan Goetz

PostPosted: Mon, May 20 2019, 10:39 am EDT    Post subject: TOMORROW NIGHT - DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES DEBATE Reply with quote

Don't forget - tomorrow night the four candidates for Democrat ticket for Township Committee will be presenting their platforms and answering questions from the audience. If you have a question, or just want to listen and learn who the candidates are, please attend. After the primary on June 4th, two of these candidates will move on to the November election.

And don't forget to bring a donation for Skeets Food bank - nonperishable food items are always needed and it is our way of thanking the Methodist Church for allowing us to use their Fellowship Hall.

So - tomorrow, May 21 from 7-9PM. Cranbury United Methodist Church, Main Street and Schoolhouse Lane. Plenty of parking in the Township/School lot . Hope to see you there.
anon-pp98

PostPosted: Tue, May 21 2019, 4:15 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: TOMORROW NIGHT - DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES DEBATE Reply with quote

Susan Goetz wrote:
Don't forget - tomorrow night the four candidates for Democrat ticket for Township Committee will be presenting their platforms and answering questions from the audience. If you have a question, or just want to listen and learn who the candidates are, please attend. After the primary on June 4th, two of these candidates will move on to the November election.

And don't forget to bring a donation for Skeets Food bank - nonperishable food items are always needed and it is our way of thanking the Methodist Church for allowing us to use their Fellowship Hall.

So - tomorrow, May 21 from 7-9PM. Cranbury United Methodist Church, Main Street and Schoolhouse Lane. Plenty of parking in the Township/School lot . Hope to see you there.

I cannot be there tonight can someone please ask the candidates these questions for me

Will you make Cranbury a sanctuary city
Will you legalize marjiuana to be sold in Cranbury
Will you reverse the tax cut
Will you create a Cival Rights Committee
Will you Stop all new warehouse development
anon-nrq6

PostPosted: Tue, May 21 2019, 4:33 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: TOMORROW NIGHT - DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES DEBATE Reply with quote

anon-pp98 wrote:
Susan Goetz wrote:

I cannot be there tonight can someone please ask the candidates these questions for me

Will you make Cranbury a sanctuary city
Will you legalize marjiuana to be sold in Cranbury
Will you reverse the tax cut
Will you create a Cival Rights Committee
Will you Stop all new warehouse development

You would never identify yourself or show up in person to ask your troll questions
rundown?-3234

PostPosted: Wed, May 22 2019, 8:32 am EDT    Post subject: Re: TOMORROW NIGHT - DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES DEBATE Reply with quote

Is anyone able to give a rundown of the issues discussed/candidate positions shared last evening? Thank you.
anon;oqs9-0076

PostPosted: Wed, May 22 2019, 11:25 am EDT    Post subject: Re: TOMORROW NIGHT - DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES DEBATE Reply with quote

There was a tape made of the debate and Susan Goetz the original poster should be able to tell the public how to access that tape.
The debate was very well run and certainly gave everyone who attended a much better feel for each candidate and their views. The format of audience questions as well as written questions worked very well. Thanks to all who made the effort to provide us with this forum for getting to know the candidates
anon-7666

PostPosted: Wed, May 22 2019, 11:38 am EDT    Post subject: Re: TOMORROW NIGHT - DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES DEBATE Reply with quote

agree. As expected there were points of agreement and points of disagreement. The tape will be very valuable to have an independent view of the night.

I can say:

Agreement on- better communication, seeking ways to have programs Glenn suggested a group could arrange a Cranbury’s a day like event and he’d support shutting down Main st, the need to protect the environment.

Differing positions on- The role Monroe residents and two should play in our master plan - Barbra was full support, Eman was they should be considered and Glenn and Rob- no role.

Housing- No one explicitly stated housing was a preferred option to warehouse. However, Barbara supported the Monroe plan and that called for housing no warehouses, Eman stated we needed to consider all residents and those in the area when assessing housing vs warehouse, Rob said the warehouses allow us to avoid losing Princeton and building new schools, preserve farmland and keep taxes down. Glenn did not speak of this specific property because the application could come before him. But he did say he felt Princeton was important and that warehouses were valuable. The other issue was on environmental.

Eman wants to provide a property tax rebate to warehouses who have charging stations, Barbara wants to put in charging stations down town. Glenn and Rob agreed that charging stations were worth reviewing. But I don’t recall anyone else supporting rebates. But that could be because Eman may have gone last, I do not recall the order on that question.

It was very well done and all 4 should be thanked.
anon-7666

PostPosted: Wed, May 22 2019, 8:37 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: TOMORROW NIGHT - DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES DEBATE Reply with quote

Good article in the press though it did not touch on the warehouse issue.

http://www.centraljersey.com/news/the_cranbury_press/cranbury-democratic-organization-holds-debate-for-committee-candidates/article_dcec29bb-539a-5fa9-aa0a-433727c07037.html

I would add for clarity that when Barbara mentioned that she would like a wish list of present and future projects she may not be aware that this exists. It is called the capital plan and part of the Town’s budget process each year. This is not a criticism, just a clarity.

I would say that while I like Eman’s general responses — love a bakery— I do get concerned that we create essentially a Christmas list from what residents want to spend money on. Each neighborhood will want their road paved, each group their own items and funds, etc... having attended TC meetings our twp engineer maps out the roads that need repair, the fire co says this is what we need, the police say this is what we need. That seems the most logical means as opposed to simply asking residents what do you want us to buy. We’d have liberty way at 12 mill and a new library if we just relied on the few people who go to a meeting.
anon-1081

PostPosted: Thu, May 23 2019, 6:07 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: TOMORROW NIGHT - DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES DEBATE Reply with quote

I don’t think Barbara and Eman realize the Pandoras box we would be opening if the township starts encouraging apartments on the other side of Route 130. It might seem like a neighborly, inclusive and environmentally friendly thing to do, however, the results would be to fundamentally change Cranbury. Every developer on the planet, and their army of lawyers, would be fighting to build residential housing in Cranbury, and without the current zoning regulations, we would not have a legal leg to stand on to stop the ensuing rampant suburban sprawl. Perhaps we could pave the road to Cranbury high school with their good intentions?
Not quite-4679

PostPosted: Thu, May 23 2019, 6:28 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: TOMORROW NIGHT - DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES DEBATE Reply with quote

Please watch the video of the event before commenting. Eman said she thought it was important to listen, and be thoughtful when deciding how to proceed. You are mischaracterizing her statements.
anon-7666

PostPosted: Thu, May 23 2019, 6:57 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: TOMORROW NIGHT - DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES DEBATE Reply with quote

Yes. I was there and gave the feedback. Eman said it was important to listen to Monroe. Why would you listen to them if their opinion would not be considered. If you’re listening and keeping the warehouse then why listen? You listen if you’ll consider their point of view. We have no relationship with Monroe to protect.

Now my view:

It is not a misconstruing if her words. As we saw from the people there many did want to listen and consider the Monroe resident view. I saw a few clap quietly for her and Barbara.

My question is why listen to them if you’re not open to changing zoning. Glenn and Rob are not open to changing to housing and said as much. The idea of being thoughtful is considering housing. I did think her answer was a good one not locking in a position one way or the other. In fact I would say she did very well answering most questions even if I disagreed with her view at times.
anon-q2r7

PostPosted: Thu, May 23 2019, 7:55 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: TOMORROW NIGHT - DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES DEBATE Reply with quote

Public vehicle charging station? Talk about a waste of money. They must drive electric cars.
anon-7666

PostPosted: Thu, May 23 2019, 8:23 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: TOMORROW NIGHT - DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES DEBATE Reply with quote

Here is my issue with charging stations. I think it is a great message, but fails in practice.

I see office buildings and parking garages where they sit empty. If we do this downtown then we lose valuable parking.

Why are we providing free fuel at tax payer expense? I don’t get free gas.
anon-q2q6

PostPosted: Thu, May 23 2019, 11:28 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: TOMORROW NIGHT - DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES DEBATE Reply with quote

anon-7666 wrote:
Here is my issue with charging stations. I think it is a great message, but fails in practice.

I see office buildings and parking garages where they sit empty. If we do this downtown then we lose valuable parking.

Why are we providing free fuel at tax payer expense? I don’t get free gas.

The scientific jury is still out on whether electric cars are better than gas powered cars for the environment. It takes a lot more energy to make an electric car. Studies range from 2.5 years to 8.2 years of electric car operation to recover from the initial environmental impact of making the batteries and light weight materials that go into an electric car. The more electric power that comes from coal fired plants, the longer it takes to recoup the initial environmental damage. These studies also don’t account for the collateral damage of mining rare metals and recycling electric car batteries. I am all for trying to get “greener” and reduce emissions, but it’s important to look into what really works. There’s no silver bullet, it’s all about less overall energy consumption.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1