The Myth of Cranbury Party Bosses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susan Goetz

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 3 2019, 8:59 pm EDT    Post subject: The Myth of Cranbury Party Bosses Reply with quote

Tomorrow is primary election day and I am urging all of you to exercise your right to vote. We have a great list of candidates for Township Committee as well as Democratic Committee and every vote is critical.

I also want to clarify something that is being told about politics in general and how it relates to our community. Some critics of the form and format of the ballot profess that candidates who are on the "Party Line" have been selected and bought by "Party Bosses" and are "beholden to them for their jobs". Statements that if a candidate is on the County Organization line, they are not committed to you the voter but rather to the party bosses. I imagine that certainly happens in some of our larger communities in NJ but let me be perfectly clear - it is not the case here in Cranbury.

Cranbury has a County Democratic Committee made up of six of your neighbors and friends - two from each voting district, one male and one female. They were elected by you the voters to those positions. In addition, since last summer, we have a Chairperson who was asked to step in as a "Special Member" to assist the committee in its recruiting and vetting. Their primary function is to recruit and vet potential candidates. This year, your Committee members did an outstanding job of interviewing anyone interested in possibly running for either of the offices. The responsibility of the elected members is to help you the voters by identifying those candidates that they believe will be most beneficial to Cranbury. That is what you asked them to do when they were elected to the Democratic County Committee . Those candidates are included on a column on the ballot along with other County wide positions (Freeholder, Sherrif and State Representatives ) As we had more interest than positions this year, they also encouraged anyone else interested to also consider running even if they were not on the line.

Most critical to understand is that none of the eight local candidates on Column B is provided a platform they must adhere to. They are each running on what they believe to be the mission and vision they have for the Township. Believing anything different is an insult to each of the candidates. There is no loyalty pledge, no mandate on positions. We are not like Camden or Bergen County politics. We don't have Party Bosses pulling puppet strings nor do we buy and sell positions on a ballot. It would almost be laughable if it wasn't being spread by some as truth.

I can only speak for the Cranbury Democratic Committee here but I am fairly certain our fellow Republicans follow the same principles.

So, vote tomorrow for the candidate you believe is best for Cranbury but lets keep State and Federal issues out of it.

Thanks - Susan Goetz, Democratic Party Chairperson
Joseph Buonavolonta-765s

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 5 2019, 5:46 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: The Myth of Cranbury Party Bosses Reply with quote

O like the year I ran with Glenn Johnson and the party just bullet voted Glenn
anon; Oqs8-0076

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 5 2019, 10:48 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: The Myth of Cranbury Party Bosses Reply with quote

Joe you are 100% correct. For us old timers we clearly remember how the Party Bosses really did a job on Tom Panconi because he refused to do things their way, which in the end was not in the best interest of the community as a whole. Anyone who thinks that the candidates are free to think out of the box and work independently is mistaken. We may have a chance with the two new candidates as they seem to be fair minded and without the ring leader Glenn putting pressure on them they may be able to bring things along to making well thought out decisions that are in the best interest of Cranbury.
anon-0363

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 6 2019, 12:08 am EDT    Post subject: Re: The Myth of Cranbury Party Bosses Reply with quote

anon; Oqs8-0076 wrote:
...we clearly remember how the Party Bosses really did a job on Tom Panconi because he refused to do things their way, which in the end was not in the best interest of the community as a whole. We may have a chance with the two new candidates as they seem to be fair minded and they may be able to bring things along to making well thought out decisions that are in the best interest of Cranbury.

You mean ”poorly thought out decisions in the best interests of Monroe”. If you change the master plan to encourage residential housing on the other side of Rt. 130, you will ruin the town... lose Princeton High, more subsidized housing, significantly higher property taxes, lower home values. At a minimum, Barbara Rogers, Laura Zurfluh and HollKat Johnson (and possibly other Indivisibles) support a platform that will ruin the town. NO THANKS![/b]
anon-pp98

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 6 2019, 6:27 am EDT    Post subject: Re: The Myth of Cranbury Party Bosses Reply with quote

Indivisible taking over Cranbury

2019 Indivisible Candiates
Barbara Rogers and Eman El-Badawi

2018 Indivisible Candidate
Mike Ferrante

2017 Indivisible Candidate
Matt Scott

Cranbury Indivisible
Laura Zurfluh - Leader
Holly Johnson
Jessica Ware
Jessica Irons
Mike Ferrante
Deanna Ferrante
Matt Scott
Heather Keltz Scott
Paul Mullen
Barbara Rogers
Eman El-Badawi
Michelle Phillips Greene
MariCris McDowell
David Nissan
Dan harshberger

anon-0363 wrote:
anon; Oqs8-0076 wrote:
...we clearly remember how the Party Bosses really did a job on Tom Panconi because he refused to do things their way, which in the end was not in the best interest of the community as a whole. We may have a chance with the two new candidates as they seem to be fair minded and they may be able to bring things along to making well thought out decisions that are in the best interest of Cranbury.

You mean ”poorly thought out decisions in the best interests of Monroe”. If you change the master plan to encourage residential housing on the other side of Rt. 130, you will ruin the town... lose Princeton High, more subsidized housing, significantly higher property taxes, lower home values. At a minimum, Barbara Rogers, Laura Zurfluh and HollKat Johnson (and possibly other Indivisibles) support a platform that will ruin the town. NO THANKS![/b]
anon-4838

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 6 2019, 6:46 am EDT    Post subject: Re: The Myth of Cranbury Party Bosses Reply with quote

anon; Oqs8-0076 wrote:
Joe you are 100% correct. For us old timers we clearly remember how the Party Bosses really did a job on Tom Panconi because he refused to do things their way, which in the end was not in the best interest of the community as a whole. Anyone who thinks that the candidates are free to think out of the box and work independently is mistaken. We may have a chance with the two new candidates as they seem to be fair minded and without the ring leader Glenn putting pressure on them they may be able to bring things along to making well thought out decisions that are in the best interest of Cranbury.

This is laughable. The two new candidates are Indivisible members whose goal is to influence the TC and all levels of government. They just took over the Dem committee seats so the TC decisions being made will be dictated by the new party leadership.

Does anyone really think Dan or Jay we’re told or accepted what to do? When the Republicans tried that tactic Jay told them to go away and became a Dem. I wonder what he’s thinking now because the new Dem leaders are more organized and more controlling than anything the Republicans ever had.

I want to know. What TC decisions are being made that are not in the best interest of town? The Indivisible group whom ever attends a TC meeting are screaming for change. But what change do you want? The last ten years have been the best years in Cranbury for a long time with low taxes, preserved land and roads being done.
anon-8225

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 7 2019, 12:44 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: The Myth of Cranbury Party Bosses Reply with quote

Jay,

stop complaining. You changed from the Republican party because you didn't want to take the tea party pledge, but you are far from being a Democrat. You are for more development, lower taxes, and your actions lack transparency. There is a reason why you managed to get only 1/3 of the vote in the last election. IF you are so popular and great, why didn't you win with a larger margin?
anon-4os8

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 7 2019, 12:53 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: The Myth of Cranbury Party Bosses Reply with quote

anon-8225 wrote:
Jay,

stop complaining. You changed from the Republican party because you didn't want to take the tea party pledge, but you are far from being a Democrat. You are for more development, lower taxes, and your actions lack transparency. There is a reason why you managed to get only 1/3 of the vote in the last election. IF you are so popular and great, why didn't you win with a larger margin?

Wait, what? If you are favorable to lower taxes you aren't a true Democrat? Someone forgot to give me the memo then and I've been a Democrat for decades.

And what do you mean about being "for more development" exactly?
anon-03n3

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 7 2019, 2:02 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: The Myth of Cranbury Party Bosses Reply with quote

anon-8225 wrote:
Jay,

Lol. You Indivisible people know nothing about the town.

Jay handily beat Mike with no signs and not really campaigning. Plus had Indivisible and the Dem party trying to get him out.

You say he is pro development. What does that mean? It is certainly not housing like Indivisible wants. The last ten years the TC preserved every farm possible. Logically, if anything you should be upset that he went counter to the master plan to try and help Cranbury station by buying this land. At least then you could argue he looked to spend money and lose tax revenue. You can’t force a person to preserve or sell their land something. You seem to think the town can simply stop development.

What actions does he have that lack transparency? He’s the only mayor to write monthly articles telling residents what is occurring, and believe only he and Susan did monthly coffee with the Mayor.

Since when is lower taxes bad? That is just dumb to complain about paying lower taxes.

I can understand Republicans being upset, he walked away from them. but as a Dem he’s the only Dem I will vote for in town.
anon-4225

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 7 2019, 2:39 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: The Myth of Cranbury Party Bosses Reply with quote

There are also many people in town who can not afford high taxes. We have one and eventually two age restricted developments with fixed income seniors in addition to many young families and seniors in other houses that are struggling. Indivisible only cares about those who are the high income individuals.

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 7 2019, 5:26 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: The Myth of Cranbury Party Bosses Reply with quote

anon-0363 wrote:
anon; Oqs8-0076 wrote:

You mean "poorly thought out decisions in the best interests of Monroe". If you change the master plan to encourage residential housing on the other side of Rt. 130, you will ruin the town... lose Princeton High, more subsidized housing, significantly higher property taxes, lower home values. At a minimum, Barbara Rogers, Laura Zurfluh and HollKat Johnson (and possibly other Indivisibles) support a platform that will ruin the town. NO THANKS!

When we purchased our home in Cranbury, this was the town I wanted to live in forever. It started out because of the schools and the environment we wanted to raise our children in but it was more than that. It was where we wanted to grow old, have our adult children return with their families, maybe. Show the grandkids their mom's old bedroom and all that.

This was what we had hoped for but I'm beginning to think this is not a reality. I fear that by the time my kids have families of their own this town will be no different than Monroe or South Brunswick with the population, traffic and property taxes to match. Apartment buildings jammed along highways to appease the residents of a town many of our residents fled from to escape the overcrowded schools and rampant development. I had hoped to be a "Cranbury lifer" but it doesn't seem like Cranbury life is what it used to be.
anon-4225

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 7 2019, 5:45 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: The Myth of Cranbury Party Bosses Reply with quote

Agree 100%. Our residents don’t pay attention the TC is a popularity contest with the winner now giving away free gifts to their friends. We have been spoiled with 10 years of good governance that preserved farmland and kept taxes low which are good things to most people. When Dan and Glenn are gone next year control will go to Indivisible, Jay will be out voted and we’ll have more housing, worse schools and people will say I am not to blame. We already saw this when the town voted out Alan Danser. Our taxes and budgets soared. But, we got a million dollar ballfield no one uses. We were lucky that sane people like david, Jay, Dan, Glenn and Susan stepped in cut spending and reset. That will not happen again.
anon-4os8

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 7 2019, 7:22 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: The Myth of Cranbury Party Bosses Reply with quote

Undoubtably what we will get next year is the new TC voting to use taxpayer funds above what the library already gets and has hoarded over the years to close the fundraising gap to build the stand-alone library without putting it to a voter referendum since the supporters have always feared it couldn't pass a popular vote. Taxpayers were already paying a big chunk of the cost for it but will now pay more.
anon-0p81

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 8 2019, 12:07 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: The Myth of Cranbury Party Bosses Reply with quote

anon-4os8 wrote:
Undoubtably what we will get next year is the new TC voting to use taxpayer funds above what the library already gets and has hoarded over the years to close the fundraising gap to build the stand-alone library without putting it to a voter referendum since the supporters have always feared it couldn't pass a popular vote. Taxpayers were already paying a big chunk of the cost for it but will now pay more.

At least that boondoggle won’t cost us Princeton. The Indivisibles just don’t seem to understand that you can’t wish away the harsh reality that if they open up the master plan to encourage residential development on the other side on Rt 130, they will destroy the Cranbury we all know and love. It’s pandora’s Box.
anon-80qs

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 8 2019, 6:32 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: The Myth of Cranbury Party Bosses Reply with quote

I want more trucks. Give me more trucks. Clog up 130. Downtown businesses go extinct. Good job Glenn, Dan, Jay
anon-884s

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 8 2019, 6:35 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: The Myth of Cranbury Party Bosses Reply with quote

anon-80qs wrote:
I want more trucks. Give me more trucks. Clog up 130. Downtown businesses go extinct. Good job Glenn, Dan, Jay

Will the trucks cost our children a top notch education? Will the trucks make my tax bill skyrocket while my property value nosedives? No? Sold! More trucks it is!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2