Candidates Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon-572n

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 18 2019, 10:39 am EDT    Post subject: Candidates Night Reply with quote

Did anyone here attend Candidates Night and if so, do you have any thoughts?

My deepest sympathies to Walter Wright and his family.

I have never been to one of these things before so I'm not sure if this is how it's always done but I found it odd that after the candidates were given the opportunity to introduce themselves a solid hour was spent answering questions that they had chosen for themselves and that the meeting was not opened up for questions from the public until 8:30pm.

I did not find this meeting particularly insightful. Three obviously and intelligent, accomplished women giving identical canned answers to questions that they obviously knew would be on people's minds and yet for the life of me I could not seem to find one solid answer.

I suppose of the three, Evelyn Spann seemed to be the only person who seemed to have any idea how she would approach hot button issues, mainly about the school but I suppose her time on the Board of Education prepared her for that.
anon-0421

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 18 2019, 11:23 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Night Reply with quote

I really like how Evelyn and Walter are running their campaign. It is very classy and shows how they do not want to divide the town with signs and waste from signs. I have been in this town over 50 years and to me they seem to bring back the "old time" feel where everyone was not divided. I know a lot of people in this town and they should have no problem winning this election.
anon-104q

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 18 2019, 1:13 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Night Reply with quote

A couple of the candidates seemed confused about the costs of the proposed library and the level of community support. One candidate seemed to suggest that it’s only $5 per month for a year. It’s concerning that any candidate would pledge their support for the township to borrow money to fill the $2 Million gap (which is a low number based on an old estimate) without knowing the costs. There was also an assumption that because township residents supported the state library funding question that there is overwhelming support for the township to foot the bill at a cost of at least $1000 per residence plus interest. That assumption is at best wishful thinking. I hope all the candidates dig deeper into the funding issues and community sentiment surrounding the proposed library before making up their minds. Sadly, it seems like some of their minds are made up already.
anon-4os8

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:57 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Night Reply with quote

anon-104q wrote:
A couple of the candidates seemed confused about the costs of the proposed library and the level of community support. One candidate seemed to suggest that it’s only $5 per month for a year. It’s concerning that any candidate would pledge their support for the township to borrow money to fill the $2 Million gap (which is a low number based on an old estimate) without knowing the costs. There was also an assumption that because township residents supported the state library funding question that there is overwhelming support for the township to foot the bill at a cost of at least $1000 per residence plus interest. That assumption is at best wishful thinking. I hope all the candidates dig deeper into the funding issues and community sentiment surrounding the proposed library before making up their minds. Sadly, it seems like some of their minds are made up already.

Library supporters from the very start going back to Mayor Stout's reign have steadfastly resisted putting the library issue to a voter referendum. If they really believed it had overwhelming support, they would have done so by now and long since received their public funding. They don't put it to a vote because they don't have confidence the majority support it.

I'll credit them this, though. They may have finally found a way around not having majority support, by primarying the incumbent and loading the ticket with candidates pre-pledged to support their pet project regardless of lack of broad public support.
anon;oqx6-0076

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 18 2019, 4:05 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Night Reply with quote

The supposed support of the Library answers at Candidates Night were totally incorrect and shows that none of the candidates truly understand the facts and what has happened. They all failed to understand and reply to the resident from Wynnewood who tried to get a straight answer. The fact is that although the Library Bond question was approved for the state, the local Library question has NEVER been voted on by the residents. If the Library proponents want to be fair and accurate in their assessment of what the voters want they should have a referendum vote on the financing of the Library. The "we want the Library regardless of what debt we incur" group are doing a disservice to the truth. There are many people who do not feel that we NEED this Library now, along with the 20 plus years of debt that the Committee members can place on us taxpayers. If you want to look at this realistically, if the people who want the Library want to pay for it fine. They should raise every penny themselves. We should not saddle every taxpayer with 20 plus years of debt.
One other thing to note is that the actual voter turn out was so low that the so called approval was not a vote of all the qualified voters. The way the Library Board has intimidated folks to contribute has been most unsettling and has turned the process into something that many people feel uncomfortable with as to how they have been treated for not contributing.
Four Seasons and the new Toll Bros. Regency all have their own Club Houses and don't need a Community Room. The room that was used last evening was sold to us as a Community Room. Well once it was approved then we the taxpayers were asked to fund the Furnishings that were not included. As you see it is very rare that the Community Room is allowed to be used by anyone other than the school. I suspect the new Library will be a good place to send the children after school and when it is open on weekends. In a time when most children and adults carry more information in their pockets, a Library is unnecessary. This is a Want for a few not a Need for the rest of the taxpayers.
anon-8oq2

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 18 2019, 5:53 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Night Reply with quote

Yes, and when the resident who asked the question about the referendum returned to ask for clarification I hope everyone in attendance took note of the TC member scrambling to shut the conversation down.

These people are not interested in representing the town, they are there to get a new library by any means necessary.
anon-r302

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 18 2019, 6:48 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Night Reply with quote

It’s so ridiculous. While we’re at it let’s bond for new pay phones along Main Street, new fax machines at town hall and maybe a few watering trough to keep the horses pulling our carriages hydrated. Can’t believe this is being shoved down our throats and not a single candidate is willing to oppose this!
anon-r302

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 18 2019, 6:50 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Night Reply with quote

And maybe since we’re spending taxpayers $$$ we can ask Dr. Genco if the school could use some more chalkboards and a few of those huge TVs on rolling carts! New ditto master? Put it on our tab, we are in the business of investing in antiquated ideas!
anon-r302

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 18 2019, 6:54 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Night Reply with quote

Eman El-Badawi: The single most important thing to me is that all residents feel as though they are being heard!

Cranbury Resident: Do we get any input as to whether we want to foot the $5 million dollar bill for a library.

Eman El Badawi: No.

LOL
anon-2394

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 18 2019, 7:50 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Night Reply with quote

We need to have a like button!
anon-8oq2

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 18 2019, 9:11 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Candidates Night Reply with quote

anon-r302 wrote:
Eman El-Badawi: The single most important thing to me is that all residents feel as though they are being heard!

Cranbury Resident: Do we get any input as to whether we want to foot the $5 million dollar bill for a library.

Eman El Badawi: No.

LOL

So true. Residents spent the better part of 2 hours listening to the three of them talk about transparency, communication and hearing the voices of every resident only to immediately shut it down the second someone brought up the library. I guess transparency and communication are only important when people aren’t voicing their disagreement about your pet project.

Also of note was when another resident pointed out that the three of them were giving boilerplate answers to softball questions and asked each to explain what set them apart from the other candidates and they all pretended not to understand the question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1